New reason to get an iPad? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i demand someone make somethign for m4l so i can build upon the work >_< lol - thinking i might just have to do that myself because i havent seen anyone else do it yet

I feel I have to drop in my two pence here.

I also do not agree with the Hater enviroment around Hawtin. The guy puts greats use to new technology and innovation. If he wants to use the new iPad to completely sound check his set from a distance. Why the hell not!
    The guy makes 100's of thousands from one gig. He can control it from one of the DUFF Beer Hats if he wants.
    I personally am quite interested to see this new Griid. I shall be checking it out.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by No Left Turn View Post
    Looks unnecessarily complicated. Guys like Richie Hawtin and BT... I get the vibe that they're just doing new/different things just to keep themselves interested and have no real attachment to the tools they're using. I'm sure in a year or 2, Richie Hawtin will be using completely different tools for playing out.
    What exactly is your point?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by biosyn View Post
    I agree with him though. For as long as I remember - Hawtin never stuck around with any one tool. I remember when he was one of the first big name DJs to use Final Scratch. Then he jumped onto Traktor, then added on Ableton, and how it seems he got rid of Traktor and is using a Lemur + Ipad on Ableton to control his shows.
    So yeah, when the next best thing comes along - he'll be on it.
    This vid is for his Plastikman show. He still uses Traktor and Live for his DJ shows.

Quote Originally Posted by verbal View Post
    What exactly is your point?
    First, the topic is a new reason to get an iPad. To me, the linked video just showed an unnecessarily complicated setup using iPads, which is fine since we all work in our own unique ways. (Who knows, maybe it isn't all that complex...) It just didn't make me feel like I needed to go out and buy an iPad. (No offense to the OP, it was still a neat video.)

Which then led me to my Hawtin/BT tangent. What I said about them not being committed to their gear was not meant to be a negative comment. I actually find it pretty interesting that they continually cycle through new gear to make/play music and are still able to do excellent jobs at it, whereas I'm trying to become more efficient with the few tools that I have every time I work on stuff.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by No Left Turn View Post
    First, the topic is a new reason to get an iPad. To me, the linked video just showed an unnecessarily complicated setup using iPads, which is fine since we all work in our own unique ways. (Who knows, maybe it isn't all that complex...) It just didn't make me feel like I needed to go out and buy an iPad. (No offense to the OP, it was still a neat video.)

Which then led me to my Hawtin/BT tangent. What I said about them not being committed to their gear was not meant to be a negative comment. I actually find it pretty interesting that they continually cycle through new gear to make/play music and are still able to do excellent jobs at it, whereas I'm trying to become more efficient with the few tools that I have every time I work on stuff.
    Like someone else said, the video really tells you nothing about the setup. You see some gear and Richie playing with an iPad. You can't really get a good idea of what's even on the iPad screen. No details about the product, so you have no clue how complicated it is going by the little bit you see. Everything else in the video is for Richie Hawtin's Plastikman tour. All of that was NOT setup just to demo this iPad app.

Regarding gear, it's great that you keep what you have and work on becoming efficient with it. But think about one thing-- Hawtin has been doing this stuff for almost 25 years. It's his career, so he gets efficient with gear much faster any any of us here. Plus he most likely works on his new setup behind the scenes for a LONG time before ever switching to it for gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by verbal View Post
    Like someone else said, the video really tells you nothing about the setup. You see some gear and Richie playing with an iPad. You can't really get a good idea of what's even on the iPad screen. No details about the product, so you have no clue how complicated it is going by the little bit you see. Everything else in the video is for Richie Hawtin's Plastikman tour. All of that was NOT setup just to demo this iPad app.

Regarding gear, it's great that you keep what you have and work on becoming efficient with it. But think about one thing-- Hawtin has been doing this stuff for almost 25 years. It's his career, so he gets efficient with gear much faster any any of us here. Plus he most likely works on his new setup behind the scenes for a LONG time before ever switching to it for gigs.
    Considering the iPad is barely 2 months old, is Hawtin L33T enough to have been demo'ing pre-release iPads LONG before the rest of us?

Anywho, I'd love to see this setup completely blow people's minds. The iPad is capable of doing awesome things, but most the apps that are currently out are either silly toys or appear to have poor or no integration with other things that people actually use. And let's not forget the lovely publicity of the world's first iPad DJ with 3 weeks of experience...

So far, the only cool things I've seen on the iPad that can be used productively are TouchOSC and the AC-7 control surface.
    Last edited by No Left Turn; 06-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Some build there own controllers....he is lucky enough to be able to be the first to use the tech....and gets consulted on it functions during the creation of the thing. Come now.... Its made for him and his forward style of thinking. You dont see em asking Carl Cox. He is just not that kind of DJ. I will put Hawtin and Zabiela in the same category. james is more the traditional of the two....but are both in the the makers of the tech. Dont hate....
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12