Running youtube through Traktor?

Default Running youtube through Traktor?

Hey guys! Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've got a funny question that is probably gonna get me a lot of flak from the diehards on this board, but hear me out first.

You know when you're DJ'ing a house party (or any party for that matter) and you get a request for a song that you don't particularly like, so you don't have it, but everyone wants to hear it? What do you do?

Well, I just pull it up on youtube. You can pretty much find any song you want there and play it on the spot. Best of all, you don't have to contaminate your library with shitty songs that you'll never personally listen to ever again.

What I usually do to transition from Traktor to youtube is do a freeze effect on whatever is playing in traktor and then hit play on the youtube clip.

This is problematic for two reasons though. (besides the obvious fact that it's ghetto)

1. My web browser does not run through my soundcard so I need an extra audio cable coming out of my computer.

2. I can't do any beatmatching/blending, only the freeze trick.

So, in the name of experimentation, is there any way to run a youtube video through one of the decks in Traktor (like through Deck C/D as a 'audio thru')? That way I could put a few effects on it, cue it up in my headphones for manual beatmatching, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    1. My web browser does not run through my soundcard so I need an extra audio cable coming out of my computer.
    This applies for Windows but I'm sure there is a very similar MacOS equivalent.

The only soundcard I had that did not support WLM was the Numark DJ|iO. WLM is Windows' way of accessing the soundcard for playback and record. It's basically the standard sound control of everything you hear through your laptop speakers.
    Traktor is capable of WLM and ASIO. Most interfaces use ASIO in Traktor. Just because they can and because it allows lower latencies.

With the Audio8 I've got now I can just tell Windows to play its sounds through the A8DJ and routing this to my mixer I could blend in a Youtube or Itunes track to something that is playing in Traktor.

Tech Mentor

Not too sure about your questions, I'd try playing around with the audio settings in your internet browser. What i do suggest is playing the songs through soundcloud instead (www.soundcloud.com) as you're more likely to get far better quality audio and you might also stumble across a sweet remix that you can save for later

Quote Originally Posted by djfletch View Post
    Not too sure about your questions, I'd try playing around with the audio settings in your internet browser.
    Usually the browser doesn't change the sound settings itself. It just addresses the system's standard devices, so you have to change those. Check out your control panel or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by djfletch View Post
    What i do suggest is playing the songs through soundcloud instead (www.soundcloud.com) as you're more likely to get far better quality audio and you might also stumble across a sweet remix that you can save for later
    Yeah, Soundcloud's quality is better than YouTube's 320p mode. The higher resolution modes tend to come with better sound quality, though. Also, I doubt Soundcloud has got all those songs you are generally looking for on a party but, yes, they do have a lot of custom remixes

Quote Originally Posted by kreativiTit View Post
    With the Audio8 I've got now I can just tell Windows to play its sounds through the A8DJ and routing this to my mixer I could blend in a Youtube or Itunes track to something that is playing in Traktor.
    no need for external mixer. i have ghetto idea. tell windows to use as default output one of the A8 output channels (say C is not used), then physicaly reroute the C output to whatever input on your A8, it can be C again. In traktor for deck C assign channel C and change it to Audio Through. Go Ghetto!
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    no need for external mixer. i have ghetto idea. tell windows to use as default output one of the A8 output channels (say C is not used), then physicaly reroute the C output to whatever input on your A8, it can be C again. In traktor for deck C assign channel C and change it to Audio Through. Go Ghetto!
    This won't work if you are using the audio8 as an ASIO device in Traktor, which you should be...

Our parties quite often degenerate into 'Youtube 80s Power Ballad' singalongs, which are a lot of drunken fun. If it happens, it happens.

If I'm playing though, the suggestion is either good enough for me to buy and download, or it doesn't get played.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

If you have time man just get a program that can rip a youtube vid into mp3 (or I'm pretty sure there's sites that do it for you now) and then just open than bitch in traktor.

As I said thought it's a little more time consuming but can probably be done within the time limits of the playing song if you get a decent routine down. If you save them to your desktop you can just delete them when you're done..

lol ! hell ghetto - but hey if it gets the people dancing who really cares

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kreativiTit View Post
    Usually the browser doesn't change the sound settings itself. It just addresses the system's standard devices, so you have to change those. Check out your control panel or the like.
    Yeah if you have Windows you need to go to the control panel and open up sound and audio devices then change the defaults there. If you're using a Mac just open up system preferences and the hit "sound". Should be able to find it there somewhere