Really Torn: Need opinions and advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Really Torn: Need opinions and advice

Hey guys, It's been quite a while since I've posted, DJing has taken a bit of a back seat due to graduation and such, anyways...

I'm at a fork in the road and I need to phone a friend (all of you awesome people here on DJTT) in order to help me decide which way to turn...

Currently, I own traktor pro, a numark DJ IO, a kontrol x1 and old behringer mixer (my DDM4000 went to shit)...

I don't know which way to go-- should i pick up a set of turntables, an audio 4 and new xone:22 and and turn my current traktor pro into a 2 deck traktor scratch pro? (this is what I'd really like to do)

OR

Go completely digital, and not even consider the turntables and put my money into a better sound card and a new mixer? (this feels completely unnatural to me)

Just some background info: I've always felt like i needed to move something with my hands while I DJ (turntable or cd player), like a feel like I'm not doing as much as I should be while DJing, DJing this way just sort of feels more natural for be, you know? not to mention, I feel kinda stupid with just the X1 and mixer now...

Basically, my question is, is it too late to jump into the turntable game?

-Bence
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Quote Originally Posted by Be-Ne-Dek View Post
    (this is what I'd really like to do)
    I think this answers your own question man. Just do what you want. And too late for who to get in the turntable game?

You can stay with the X1 but if it's not what you're into it probably wont last long..

Do you mean it's too late for you to become a superstar on the turntable? I've often considered changing to cdj's and throw in controllerism just as it's so much more convenient but I wouldn't enjoy it as much so fuck it, just do what's going to be fun for you - better chance of you becoming good on turntables because you love it.

2 cents i guess..

Tech Convert

I was a vinyl DJ for 15 years, but the Vestax VCI-300 / Serato combo is really nice to use with two very sensitive intuitive wheels that feel great and certainly give you something to "do". You also have all the advantages of throwing your kit into a backpack to play anywhere you can plug in. My advice: Digital!
    My blog: Digital DJ Tips
    Follow me on Twitter

I know what you mean about the to handle something (CD's/Vinyl). For me it's vinyl.

Add a nice pad controller for cue point juggling, and something with a few knobs for FX, and you're laughing...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I know what you mean about the to handle something (CD's/Vinyl). For me it's vinyl.

Add a nice pad controller for cue point juggling, and something with a few knobs for FX, and you're laughing...
    I don't think you'll ever be truly happy without turntable's. Get that setup and in a couple of years maybe someone will come out with a decent MIDI controller for TSP that works as well out of the box as the VCI-300/Itch combo.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I don't think you'll ever be truly happy without turntable's. Get that setup and in a couple of years maybe someone will come out with a decent MIDI controller for TSP that works as well out of the box as the VCI-300/Itch combo.
    I agree with the above, it was the VCI-300 that I fell in love with, not ITCH - if a controller isn't "just so" for me I'd rather custom map the keyboard to the software and ditch carrying a controller around altogether. But the VCI-300 is a truly lovely piece of kit to use. (Mind you, I've personally never been a Traktor fan as I find it unintuitive.)
    My blog: Digital DJ Tips
    Follow me on Twitter

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by Be-Ne-Dek View Post
    I don't know which way to go
    always do what you feel best about. I've asked myself this very question countless times, because I was stuck between vinyl and controllerism too. eventually I went with both.

it's a lot extra effort of lugging aroung half a ton of gear to every single gig, but above all, I want to make sure I perform as well as possible - and I've learned that except for a few very good venues, I can never really rely on a club installation or their technician...

of course someone else will probably tell you a controller + laptop combo is better. in terms of portability I definitely agree, but overall I guess it's really a question of personal preference. which brings me back to my original point: do what you feel best about.

I don't know what your budget is, but consider a 4 channel mixer instead of a 2 channel mixer. It's just more future proof if you decide to add more decks. Add turntables or CDJ's to that and keep your X1 for effects/cuepoints and you're ready to go...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

i really appreciate your guys input, i've just heard a lot about turntables being considered old technology, (rumors about technics being discontinued, etc.) and i just wasn't sure if it would be too late for me to travel that route.

like you guys said, as long as its what i want to do and i perform my best on them, then whats the problem, right?
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

It will never be too late for TTs. What you will learn by going that route will be applicable in the future. And as everyone here has said, go with you heart, because you will not be satisfied until you do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast