Setup tips

Thread: Setup tips

Default Setup tips

Ok, here goes. I'm going to be using Ableton Sutie 8 for producing and live DJing. I intend to use a couple of pieces of hardware with it. Since I've only just began to delve into the World of Ableton, I'm not yet too familiar with it's settings etc.

I'm basically looking for guidance on how to set up the below:

* Dell laptop with Ableton Suite 8 runnin (it only has 4 USB ports, which may be an issue)
    * Audio2DJ Sound Card (Channel A for live mix and B for headphones cue)
    * Vestax VCI-100
    * Novation Launchpad
    * External Hard Drive

My issue is that I don't know how to configure the setup. Also have a question on USB hubs. Are they recommended or not? Only asking as I was intending to hook up all these via USB:

* VCI-100
    * Launchpad
    * External Hard Drive
    * Audio2DJ
    * Wireless Keyboard/Moure receiver

However, I only have 4 USB ports on the laptop. I'm thinking I could sacrifice the wireless mouse and keyboard if I had to, but really hate having to use the laptops touchpad for live DJing.

Some tips on how to custom MIDI map hardware in Ableton would be good too. The manual is far too large to print out at 550+ pages!!!!!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

I would put the mouse and HDD into a USB Hub, probably doesn't need to be powered but if you plan on getting more stuff eventually its worth investing more than a few pounds on eBay

With regards to Midi mapping on ableton i would use the launchpad as it comes, if you want to map some faders on your vci at the top right there should be a MIDI button which highlights everything in blue, click on what you want to control then what you want to control it with (knob/fader/button )

Hope that makes some sense
    MBP 13" | M-Audio Oxygen 49 | Launchpad | TSP | NanoKontrol | LPD8

Soundcloud | YouTube | Blog

Free iStuff | UK Cashback

It does indeed. I'll give it a bash this evening!

I'm hoping to use the Launchpad as it is, pretty much, only using it to launch clips within Ableton. I'm hoping to map crossfader, tracks scan (jog), effects etc all to the VCI, which will hopefully give me full control and a cross between a clip-playing and real-feel setup.

I notice in you sig you have the Launchpad, how is it as a genuine user? I'm only able to find non-constructive views on it apart from mag reviews etc which are usually contracted to glorify the product they're reviewing.....Undecided between the Launchpad and the APC20 as the APC40 is WAY out of my current budget.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Wizard

You might have trouble with somethine like "Windows does not recognise this hardware"
    You may or may not encounter this problem, but I definitely did and with so many controllers you just might. This post helped me out sooo much
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13738
    just in case
    http://soundcloud.com/muur-1
    (Nothing much but if you're interested)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    Undecided between the Launchpad and the APC20 as the APC40 is WAY out of my current budget.
    Personally i was faced with the same decision and went for the launchpad because i have enough faders and i find it a bit more flexible when you get used to it. I think you will be happy with whichever one you go with but the launchpad is simpler, smaller and bus powered which wins it for me.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134313
    MBP 13" | M-Audio Oxygen 49 | Launchpad | TSP | NanoKontrol | LPD8

Soundcloud | YouTube | Blog

Free iStuff | UK Cashback