Fresh to Traktor, need an advice!
    Tech Convert

Default Fresh to Traktor, need an advice!

Hello everyone! I've just purchased traktor scratch pro set with audio 4 dj interface. I currently use windows machine but thinking of getting a macbook pro 13". I've used serato before, so have some questions... Would appreciate if you guys could give me some advice on these:

1. How to set a deck cache size in traktor scratch pro 1.2.5 ?
    2. Is it worth getting a mac? Will it make a significant diffence? (I hope so=)
    3. I've heard that you can run windows on mac, does it work fine? I might need to run some windows apps...

Thank you!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

1. Deck Cache is not done by 'intelligent cache system' . Its no longer user set.
    2. Yes But there is a wealth of info on this site on how to make a PC work well.
    3. Yes you can.

Also why are you on 1.2.5 cus 1.2.6 is out now and i was wondering, why you have an Audio 4 not an Audio 8 ?

If it works fine then stick with a PC is my advice. Think about the Mac/PC thing next time you have to buy a new laptop.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    1. Deck Cache is not done by 'intelligent cache system' . Its no longer user set.
    2. Yes But there is a wealth of info on this site on how to make a PC work well.
    3. Yes you can.

Also why are you on 1.2.5 cus 1.2.6 is out now and i was wondering, why you have an Audio 4 not an Audio 8 ?
    Thank you for your reply. I got scratch duo set first, then upgraded to pro, here is the reason for using Audio 4. So far I'm quite pleased with sound quality and performance. For now I will stick to 2 decks anyway. Thinking of getting X1 controller as well. Seems a lovely piece of kit! Mate,you are right, it is 1.2.6 - my bad. As well would like to mention that after some optimization tips I found here, my PC seems to work better. But I'm still thinking to get a mac...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Cool. Yeah TSP with the Audio 4 is a great setup. Adding an X1 will be even better, i love my X1s.
    On the Mac thing..! This is a debate that rages all the time and im gonna be careful not to stoke it here. If your looking at Mac, is there a reason? As Lethal says you can tweak your PC laptop and have it run as good as a Mac but yeah, you need the knowledge.
    If you have that knowledge or are willing to learn then theres no real need to shell out for a Mac.

Personally, just me, i havent got the time or inclination or skill to get into tweaking PCs.
    For me computers are work-horses. I dont take any joy at all in how they work and just like my car, im happy to drive it but ive no fucking idea how it works.

I went down the Mac route 7 years ago and im now probably only a little bit more knowledgable about computers now... I just havent bothered to learn.
    No need, ive got 4 Macs and ive used them all for Traktor and only had 1 of them crash twice. Once due to a corrupt MP3 and once when i accidently loaded an 11 hour playlist into Deck B, the Mac had a think for a minute and just gave up and crashed, hardy surprising.

Software is a different story. I know a thing or two about a thing or two about Traktor,
    Laptops, there just shinny flat boxes that enable me to earn money.

Dont sweat the PC vs Mac thing until you HAVE to.
    If your PC works and Traktor runs well wheres the issue?

One thing IS true though. No-one ever regrets changing to Mac. Theres simply nothing the regret. Perhaps having no money for food for 3 months but yeah thats about it..!

Hah sorry about the life story , im full of excited energy today.

GLASTONBURY...!

This is why I love karlos. ^^^

He's completely right about the mac thing. Personally, I didn't have the cash nor the mindset to buy a mac. Plus, school/uni stuff is done mostly on windows or linux, so for me it was just more logical to get a pc.

And yes, you can run windows on a mac either by dual-booting (Mac calls this bootcamp, google is your friend) or a windows emulation program called wine (again, use google).

Tech Convert

Karlos, cheers for your support! I'll surely get a X1 now, after your comments! Looks like someone wants to buy my serato, so that helps.

Regarding Mac vs Pc... At the moment I use HP pc with 1.7 intel dual core + 3gb of ram. This laptop is used purely for music and never goes on-line. Yesterday I tested it for about 6 hours, it seems to all work fine but occasionally I get some "like vinyl" sound clicks. They are not loud, but you know how it is, once you know it's there, you start looking for it.

My sample rate is set to ~82k though... What would you say on that, is it worth sliding it back to ~41k? My latency is set to 10ms, not great but below it, key-lock sounds worse and I get more clicks.

So my main point for Mac, is having a machine that meets my requirements. You've just confirmed the info that I've heard about them - fast, reliable and stable! And it is always good to learn something new...

P.S; My mate is going to GLASTONBURY as well, he's been on about it for the whole week! Wicked event!

Yeah I don't think the sampling rate will be audible if you reset it to 41khz (cds are also 41khz, eh), plus you might be able to go lower with the latency..