MP3s Library Organization

Default MP3s Library Organization

OK guys.. after expressing my frustration in a previous post when I found out there's no ID3 tags backward compatibility between Traktor and Traktor Pro, a serious dilemma came to my mind... I need to re-organize my huge collection.

Every once in a while this particular issue comes to my mind, but I guess just thinking about all the work and time involved... drives me away.

Just so you get an idea... I have a 4 x 1Tb drives full of remixes, of various genres. My collection is organized in the following way:

Root folder contains several folders, based on genres:

- HipHop -
    - Club -
    - Tribal -

Then within those, sub-folders of each album. Songs have been analyzed by XmixedInKey and Platinum Notes, therefore have the key and BPM at the en of each file name.

So a folder structure would look like this:
    E:\- HipHop -\Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Remixes) [2008]

And the songs structure would look like this:
    01 - Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Ean Golden Club MIx) - 8A - 130.mp3
    02 - Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (DJTT Famous Mix) - 8A - 130.mp3

So.. you get the idea. I believe this keeps my collection organized, and looking clean, besides allowing me to keep full albums. Now... since my collection keeps growing every week, keeping this organizations takes a LOT of time from my part, and there's also a big amount of songs I have not had the time to hear.

A friend of mine suggested to get rid of the albums folders, get rid about the track numbers, hear the tracks, delete those I don't like and just keep the songs that are really worth... this will allow me to keep just the hottest tracks, minimize disk space ,etc.

So if I were only to keep the "Ean Golden Club Mix" of the song previously posted...
    I would move the track to the root folder and delete the Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Remixes) [2008] folder. It would look like:

E:\- Hip Hop\Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Ean Golden Club MIx) - 8A - 130.mp3

I am still not convinced this is the route to go.... what do you guys suggest?
    How are you organizing your collections? I know many of you have smaller collections due to only one or two genres, but I have many, though making it a huge collection.

I also ripped my original CDs and Vinyls to MP3s so I could have more space, etc.
    Last edited by Julio; 11-09-2008 at 10:07 AM.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    OK guys.. after expressing my frustration in a previous post when I found out there's no ID3 tags backward compatibility between Traktor and Traktor Pro, a serious dilemma came to my mind... I need to re-organize my huge collection.

Every once in a while this particular issue comes to my mind, but I guess just thinking about all the work and time involved... drives me away.

Just so you get an idea... I have a 4 x 1Tb drives full of remixes, of various genres. My collection is organized in the following way:

Root folder contains several folders, based on genres:

- HipHop -
    - Club -
    - Tribal -

Then within those, sub-folders of each album. Songs have been analyzed by XmixedInKey and Platinum Notes, therefore have the key and BPM at the en of each file name.

So a folder structure would look like this:
    E:\- HipHop -\Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Remixes) [2008]

And the songs structure would look like this:
    01 - Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Ean Golden Club MIx) - 8A - 130.mp3
    02 - Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (DJTT Famous Mix) - 8A - 130.mp3

So.. you get the idea. I believe this keeps my collection organized, and looking clean, besides allowing me to keep full albums. Now... since my collection keeps growing every week, keeping this organizations takes a LOT of time from my part, and there's also a big amount of songs I have not had the time to hear.

A friend of mine suggested to get rid of the albums folders, get rid about the track numbers, hear the tracks, delete those I don't like and just keep the songs that are really worth... this will allow me to keep just the hottest tracks, minimize disk space ,etc.

So if I were only to keep the "Ean Golden Club Mix" of the song previously posted...
    I would move the track to the root folder and delete the Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Remixes) [2008] folder. It would look like:

E:\- Hip Hop\Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Ean Golden Club MIx) - 8A - 130.mp3

I am still not convinced this is the route to go.... what do you guys suggest?
    How are you organizing your collections? I know many of you have smaller collections due to only one or two genres, but I have many, though making it a huge collection.

I also ripped my original CDs and Vinyls to MP3s so I could have more space, etc.

I'd say organize them in keys, and that's it. Since you should really know all your mp3's and if you don't you have too many. just use mixed in keys.

And then create 24 folders for your different keys.