Home made midifighter(or something..)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default Home made midifighter(or something..)

    Hi to all,sorry for my english but I'm italian.
    The midifighter is an incredible tool for djs...really, and I want something similar but I'm a fan of DIY and would be too easy to buy the kit.
    I would build something similar starting from a cheap numeric keypad,traktor recognized the keypad as a simple keyboard.
    I created a simple mapping with cue points, play, pause and sync it works well but I want to use the original midifighter tsi it's possible?

  2. #2
    Tech Guru Fatlimey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Sure it's possible, just remember to edit the TSI and remove the MIDI output events that turn on LEDs.

  3. #3
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Sure it's possible, just remember to edit the TSI and remove the MIDI output events that turn on LEDs.
    OHH YEA!!! but i don't understand how to edit the tsi,in traktor? or there is a program editor for tsi??
    Thank you

  4. #4
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha-DJ View Post
    OHH YEA!!! but i don't understand how to edit the tsi,in traktor? or there is a program editor for tsi??
    Thank you
    No, there is no fancy editor for Traktor. You pretty much jut have to take each output event out individually. You can sort the different sections so that makes it a little easier.
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

  5. #5
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    No, there is no fancy editor for Traktor. You pretty much jut have to take each output event out individually. You can sort the different sections so that makes it a little easier.
    i don't understand sorry ,how I can convert the tsi for midifighter(midi) to a tsi for a keyboard? there is a way or I have to rewrite all the commands in a new tsi?
    Sorry if I don't understood your explanation,I'm italian and these topics are very hard for me

  6. #6
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    I have a tsi at home that I started that copied most of the midi fighter functions to use with the number pad on my keyboard. It's not complete, but it should get you started. I'll upload it here later.
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

  7. #7
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I have a tsi at home that I started that copied most of the midi fighter functions to use with the number pad on my keyboard. It's not complete, but it should get you started. I'll upload it here later.
    You are my hero

  8. #8
    Tech Guru Fatlimey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    It seem you're well on the way to getting the task done. Here's your steps:

    1. You need an app that will take key presses and convert them into Midi NoteOn/NoteOff messages. It sounds like you found one of those already.
    2. You'll need to learn how MIDI notes work. Get a copy of MidiOx (for PC) or MIDI Monitor (for Mac) and watch the events happen as you press keys. These are the values that Traktor responds to. This will also help you debug step 1.
    3. The Midifighter mappings respond to MIDI NoteOn/NoteOff events on MIDI channel 3 with note numbers in the range 36-51. You need to set up your keyboard to generate these values. The exact mapping the Midifighter uses is described in the MF documentation.
    4. You'll also need to learn how to load and edit TSI files using the Mapping Editor in Traktor. RTFM for a gentle introduction to this process. You are then read to load the TSI and check that the MIDI events generated by your keyboard are activating the functions in Taktor.
    5. You're finished, play and enjoy.

  9. #9
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    This will get you started, but it's not the same as a Midi fighter. I was really just playing around and after I realized it was not the right way of doing it I abandoned it. As far as what key does what you'll just have to look through the tsi in the controller manager cause I don't even remember. Look at it as a learning process.

    Fatlimey speaks the truth. If you really want to make your keyboard act like a midi fighter that's the process.
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

  10. #10
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    It seem you're well on the way to getting the task done. Here's your steps:

    1. You need an app that will take key presses and convert them into Midi NoteOn/NoteOff messages. It sounds like you found one of those already.
    2. You'll need to learn how MIDI notes work. Get a copy of MidiOx (for PC) or MIDI Monitor (for Mac) and watch the events happen as you press keys. These are the values that Traktor responds to. This will also help you debug step 1.
    3. The Midifighter mappings respond to MIDI NoteOn/NoteOff events on MIDI channel 3 with note numbers in the range 36-51. You need to set up your keyboard to generate these values. The exact mapping the Midifighter uses is described in the MF documentation.
    4. You'll also need to learn how to load and edit TSI files using the Mapping Editor in Traktor. RTFM for a gentle introduction to this process. You are then read to load the TSI and check that the MIDI events generated by your keyboard are activating the functions in Taktor.
    5. You're finished, play and enjoy.
    There is only a little problem..I don't have the program that convert key into Midi NoteOn/NoteOff messages,Do you know someone?

    Thanks again.


    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    This will get you started, but it's not the same as a Midi fighter. I was really just playing around and after I realized it was not the right way of doing it I abandoned it. As far as what key does what you'll just have to look through the tsi in the controller manager cause I don't even remember. Look at it as a learning process.

    Fatlimey speaks the truth. If you really want to make your keyboard act like a midi fighter that's the process.
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •