no point in upgrading my laptop? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    That's the wrong assumption. 2Ghz dual core (such as E6400 by intel) means the processor has 2x2Ghz cores.. So that's like 4 Ghz processing speed. But it's not comparable to a single core computer you know, because the task is split into 2 not handled by 1 super fast one..
    that clears that up then, also explains why the number of Ghz hasn't seem to increase over the last couple of years

So rethink this thread..
    hmmm...

edit; done some deeper googling and a total clock speed of 4Ghz (based on 2Ghz dual) would only happen if both cores work on the same threads simultaneously, if traktor was only being handled by one core it would still be 2. if traktor didn't support 'simultaneous multi-threading' it would render a dual core pointless
    Last edited by BradCee; 06-22-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    if traktor didn't support 'simultaneous multi-threading' it would render a dual core pointless
    true. But, in your situation I'd say try to get help for the GAS and keep your current laptop. If it aint broke dont fix it

true. But, in your situation I'd say try to get help for the GAS and keep your current laptop. If it aint broke dont fix it
    we need a GAS Addicts Anonymous forum, lol

SoundCloud

I'm about to upgrade from the same computer as you. I'll be getting the 2.44GHZ as the 2.6 has only seen a difference in mostly 3d rendering apps (it's hardly better in boot-camp, photoshop, app launching, etc.). I'll be getting the lowest 15" macbook pro with a SSD (SSD is byfar the biggest upgrade you can get right now, it makes such a huge difference it isn't even funny!) and a hi-res non-gloss screen upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    getting the lowest 15" macbook pro with a SSD (SSD is byfar the biggest upgrade you can get right now, it makes such a huge difference it isn't even funny!) and a hi-res non-gloss screen upgrade.
    ssd been on my wishlist, but to make it worth while i'd need to spend out almost the same as a new laptop

SoundCloud

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12