XONE 4d mod with extra leds
    Tech Student

Default XONE 4d mod with extra leds

Hi there,

I'd like to mod my Xone 4d with extra led outputs, has anyone done that already?
    The easy way im thinking about is buying an diy midi board with led outputs and plug that into the midi output of the 4D.
    In traktor it's possible to configure led output on a different midi channel and i would choose the diy midi board.
    So for any button i want i can configure an led with it, maybe replacing the black push buttons for led integrated?

What do you think, is this going to work?
    Will the button state stay in sync with the led (it's midi?
    Does anyone have made such midi board with alot of leds, suggest ardunio or some?

I'd like to know your opinion, thanks!

Tech Wizard

If you don't already know how to do it, don't attempt it!
    That's not to say it's not possible in the future, but you'll have to go and do a hell of a lot of research and really should attempt a few projects from scratch so you know what you're doing.

Opening up your Xone4D is a bad idea in my opinion!
    Why not build a second controller instead of tampering with a really expensive one

Check out:
    www.ucapps.de (aka MidiBox)

Monsta

Tech Student

Hi Monsta,

At first i want to build an interface next to the xone for only led outputs and connect it to the midi out, that way i can test it and won't have to open it first.
    I dont want to build another controller the only thing missing on the Xone is more led output so i was hoping some one had some suggestions on what DIY interface i could use best to connect alot of leds.

When i have a working setup i will crack this mf and integrate this.

So if anyone has a suggestion, please.

Tech Wizard

I think I saw the other day that someone had used a DOUT from Ucapps with an Arduino...
    That'd be fairly cheap to put together and won't take up that much room.

Tech Convert

im slowly working on this. I have a midibox core module and a DOUT module. I should have some time in the next few months to continue on this. I picked up some 3mm LED's some orange blue and red ones. Just to keep things consistent with xones. Im probably just going to have them poke through the top panel like the ones at that top of each channel to show what input/channel mode is selected.

I am planning on doing this with my Xone 1d. Start out by making a separate midi interface like you are doing. I'll try and get it inside the Xone case and connect it internally to the midi out of the xone. Hopefully can let the midi signals through and still able to use the external in / out connectors.

Other option which could allow up to 16 LEDs on the 1D (as opposed to the original 4) without any additional midi interface would be to make a multiplexed / matrix of LEDs (4 x4) using the original 4 LED outputs, though i'd have to see how they are wired up already.

Want to try and get lit up buttons instead of just LEDs next to the buttons. Need to find / make ones that will fit in the existing holes.

Perhaps try multiple colour LEDs...

Keep us updated on how your project goes..!

Will investigate the unit when I get home but this sounds useful:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...g-a-MIDI-thru/

Can put all the circuitry inside by just duplicating the messages coming from the PC to the Xone, thus one set goes to the xone as before, the other set are used to control your new LED control module.