Audio cuts out during set
    Tech Wizard

Default Audio cuts out during set

Hi everyone, I had a hitch the other night which I thought i'd put to you guys since i'm no electrical engineer!

I was doing a set in a bar on Friday Night (trying to earn a residency) using my HP Windows 7 laptop, Traktor, my Numark Stealth Control, and an Audio 2 DJ (from Native Instruments) connected into a VERY shabby looking All-in-one CDJ system in the booth itself. The set went fine, although during my last song one of the other DJs attempted to turn on a strobe light, which in turn caused the audio to cut out! Luckily I laughed it out on the mic with the crowd, but obviously I don't want this happening again when I DJ there (they gave me the residency )

The thing is, I would have assumed that something like this would be caused by a power surge. What is making me sceptical is the fact that the two lights on the Audio 2 DJ which indicate whether sound is going through the outputs, were NOT illuminated as they should have been. The lighting system is not connected to the CDJs.

My personal theory is that there was a power surge in their poor electrical system, and my Audio 2 DJ shut itself off to avoid damage (or the surge disabled it). This is due to a LOT of extension cables being used where they perhaps shouldn't have been.

I'm going to visit the bar in the daytime at some point this week so that I can have a proper look at what's plugged in where, but I just wondered if I could rob you of your thoughts on this and whether there is anything in particular I should look out for during my visit - since the guys who run the bar seem to know absolutely nothing about Audio Systems.

I really want to get this sorted ASAP, since the bar are quite big on Digital Discrimination and are suggesting it's something to do with my configuration. Although this is possible, i've DJ'd in many other Bars and connected to their CDJ desks with no problems at all. There's also the fact that it happened EXACTLY as the other DJ pressed the Strobe Light switch, which I don't think is coincidence.

A lot of people at the bar warned me that the system they have at the moment is poor, but I am determined to bypass this (and just connect myself directly to the speakers if necessary!) since it's the first residency i've earned outside of my Students' Union

Sorry about the long post but hopefully i've given a clear picture of the situation! I look forward to reading your comments

James

Tech Wizard

The LEDs on Audio2DJ is on as long as the USB-cable is connected to a computer with power on, which it was as long as you got a working battery on your laptop.

So my guess is that you just blew the fuse or something

Tech Wizard

The LEDs on the Audio 2 DJ only actually light up when current is going through the outputs (i.e. sound is actually being transmitted), that is, the device can be connected fine, but the LEDs not on unless there is actually sound successfully going through the outputs.

Also, I heavily doubt it was the fuse, since disconnecting and reconnecting the sound card and restarting Traktor fixed the problem - I got the sound working again without replacing any fuses, which I wouldn't have been able to do if the Fuse had blown.

Get a surge protector
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Try going to your device manager, under universal serial bus controllers, for every USB Root Hub, in the list: Right Click, go to properties, click the power management tab, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
    I don't know if this will help, but it wouldn't hurt.