what do you look for in a drum loop sample pack?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default what do you look for in a drum loop sample pack?

as i have quiet a few drum loops i've put together kicking about different places on my hard drives, some of which never got used, and i consider myself to be fairly good at drum loops (then bass, suck at melodies - just stick with bleeps and squeaks as a rule).

i'm thinking of putting together a drum loops sample pack to release on juno download in the dj tools section.

Looking at maybe 20 4 bar loops, mix of broken and 4x4 beats, with bpms in the title, plus maybe some bass lines and some other random noises.

how many of you buy these kinds of thing? what do you consider a fair price for around 30 (wav only) loops? what do you look for in a pack?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    as i have quiet a few drum loops i've put together kicking about different places on my hard drives, some of which never got used, and i consider myself to be fairly good at drum loops (then bass, suck at melodies - just stick with bleeps and squeaks as a rule).

i'm thinking of putting together a drum loops sample pack to release on juno download in the dj tools section.

Looking at maybe 20 4 bar loops, mix of broken and 4x4 beats, with bpms in the title, plus maybe some bass lines and some other random noises.

how many of you buy these kinds of thing? what do you consider a fair price for around 30 (wav only) loops? what do you look for in a pack?
    $30 euro? i think that price would be out of my range. but yeah i would buy it. i spent $35 USD on 800mb of loops/one shots the other day on deep/tech minimal sounds. so if your offering tech house then i would be interested but depending on the price as well. I have on my favorites a list of loops to buy and in their name i have their prices $10, $13, $15 USD of 400-600mb of sounds. so i'm more likely to buy the less expensive first than the more expensive packs.

if you set a bpm of 127. but on fl studio i put the tempo to 126, does the mean that the beat will run at 127 instead of 126 ? how does that work. cuz i have a lot of sounds that are 125, 126, 127 bpm etc etc

Look for decent variation within a set range of bpm..I wouldn't buy 30 that ranged from 80-160 as I only really work with 110-130..smaller packs are nice, and yeah , 1 euro per loop if it's decent is fair And I love random noises, so I think it'd be worth putting those up too

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    if you set a bpm of 127. but on fl studio i put the tempo to 126, does the mean that the beat will run at 127 instead of 126 ? how does that work. cuz i have a lot of sounds that are 125, 126, 127 bpm etc etc
    not really used FL, so not sure how it grids/time stretches. but if it has the ability it should stretch it to the bpm you set. just going to put the speed in the title to make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    Look for decent variation within a set range of bpm..I wouldn't buy 30 that ranged from 80-160 as I only really work with 110-130..smaller packs are nice, and yeah , 1 euro per loop if it's decent is fair And I love random noises, so I think it'd be worth putting those up too
    i think i'll prob price at 79p/loop and £7.99 for the whole pack? can't decide if that sells me short, or rips people off, lol. but £25-£30 sounds too high. not sure what that is in euros though... about 9?

bpm range will be more likely from around 120 to 135/136 region. i don't tend to work outside of that range tbh. might do some slower ones though.

SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    not really used FL, so not sure how it grids/time stretches. but if it has the ability it should stretch it to the bpm you set. just going to put the speed in the title to make things easier.

i think i'll prob price at 79p/loop and £7.99 for the whole pack? can't decide if that sells me short, or rips people off, lol. but £25-£30 sounds too high. not sure what that is in euros though... about 9?

bpm range will be more likely from around 120 to 135/136 region. i don't tend to work outside of that range tbh. might do some slower ones though.
    make one for genres like tech house, minimal tech, 500mb+ $10e and i'd buy it. if your package 1. cost less & 2. gives a lot more than other packages out there, then people will consider yours easily for those two main reasons.

marketing experience
    sales experience
    business exp
    cutflow =]

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I've never used drum loops, but have been contemplating the issue as of late. Was kind of hard to make a decision the few times I did look so I just never bought any.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Banned

You have 30 loops, but you can get way more loops than that though.

Example, take one of your loops and break it up. Just the kick, then just the kick & snare, then the kick, snare and hi's, then the hi's and snare, then the hi's and kick and so on. You make it a lot more attractive now as it's a lot more versatile.

Banned

Include the midi files as well if you can

By the way, love your avatar! GiTS:SAC is one of my fav series

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    make one for genres like tech house, minimal tech, 500mb+ $10e and i'd buy it. if your package 1. cost less & 2. gives a lot more than other packages out there, then people will consider yours easily for those two main reasons.
    good point, there's a lot of things like this on there, which is what i'm basing on. i've seen some that properly take the piss on price. this isn't an example of those, just first one at top of list. some are fairly random, some are genre specific.
    as i mainly play/make house and breaks, those are the loops i'll mainly end up making. if/when i do any others i might make them more specialized.

looking at around 150 MB file size, at a guess, for this...

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    if it's decent is fair
    also i want to expand on this; how do you mean decent? in sound quality? or the way the loop is structured? both?

as an example, check out the 2 new tracks on my soundcloud, going to use those drums for this. i'll prob give them a touch of a tweak.

SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Include the midi files as well if you can
    was just going to release the wavs on juno, so don't think this will be doable...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    By the way, love your avatar! GiTS:SAC is one of my fav series
    ftw

SoundCloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast