Using the new Mac Mini instead of MBP for live performances
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Using the new Mac Mini instead of MBP for live performances

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a mobile setup using the new Mac Mini from apple, what do you think about it?

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

They are small then the early version and so powerful as the macbook pro 13' is.

I'm trying to imagine a case with the Mac Mini and the FWire Audio Interface bellow a controller of choice (VCI, SCS.3, BCR3000, etc).
    All the cable connections between these 3 parts would be done inside this compact case, and the audio interface (for mixing externally or internally) would be going out the case to the house mixer.

As a lot of clubs will be ready for mobile DJs soon, we will not need to bring a screen to the club, we will alredy have a real monitor there (I hope so).
    If there is no monitor in the club, I can use a portable screen and prepare the case to acomodate that screen the way I like it.

This way, even on the smallest booth I can fit my computer, audio interface and a medium-size controller in the same place and all will be pre-connected to the Mini. All I would need to do will be connect the audio-interface to the house mixer and my headphone to the AI.

What do you guys think about it?

The advantage of a laptop is you get the screen keyboard and mouse. The Mini is cool, but I don't see how useful it would be in a club environment without the keyboard and mouse, even if the club has a monitor (and why would they if all DJ's bring their laptop?).

Not trying to poo-poo your creative idea, just my 2 cents.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    The advantage of a laptop is you get the screen keyboard and mouse. The Mini is cool, but I don't see how useful it would be in a club environment without the keyboard and mouse, even if the club has a monitor (and why would they if all DJ's bring their laptop?).

Not trying to poo-poo your creative idea, just my 2 cents.

Phil.
    I agree, it's a great idea and you may be able to implement it where you play, but for the most part I think the laptop is just better. That said you can get a Mac Mini and a screen for much cheaper than a MBP.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

could do it somewhat like this
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5489

I do think that you will still need a screen though, cause I wouldn't depend on a club for a working mixer, let alone a computer screen

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

would work well if you picked up a Samsung U70 or one of these to go with it:

http://kohtek.com/Lilliput-7-Um70-Mi...ource=GB&id=uk

would arguably be a more portable solution than a laptop.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    would arguably be a more portable solution than a laptop.
    How..? still need Mac / Screen / Mouse /Keyboard plus all the leads & cables to connect it all up with power.

That seems like a half hour setup alone not including the audio card an controller.

It would have to be connected and flightcased for it to be a portable as a laptop.

Jus my 2p

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    How..? still need Mac / Screen / Mouse /Keyboard plus all the leads & cables to connect it all up with power.

That seems like a half hour setup alone not including the audio card an controller.

It would have to be connected and flightcased for it to be a portable as a laptop.

Jus my 2p
    But thats what the HOFF said!

In a case etc.

I dunno....if i needed to make a plan on a budget.....i could see this working.....if you can get the bits cheaper ....or if you WANT a DIY solution.

Else....i would just get a laptop.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

Why we need a keyboard and mouse to perform as a DJ?
    If we still need a keyboard to do it maybe we are lacking controls...
    And remember, you don't need a physical keyboard to search your music by keyword, we can use any X/Y pad and a virtual keyboard on the screen

I'm just trying to eliminate a painfull setup time, a mess with cables and a lot of the "twitter look" of djing with a laptop...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah im addressing the "portability" quote from MiLo.

Its gonna be a nightmare in the gig bag with all those separate parts and also so many items that can fail on the night or need replacing more often that a laptop.

Im merely thinking from a practical view point.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    I'm just trying to eliminate a painfull setup time, a mess with cables and a lot of the "twitter look" of djing with a laptop...
    Yeah that would be my concern...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    ..even if the club has a monitor (and why would they if all DJ's bring their laptop?)...
    Maybe it's the inverse. All DJs bring their laptop because all the Clubs aren't prepared for the Digital Age.

I know two really small clubs (one at São Paulo, and another at Santos) that have a monitor screen at the DJ Booth, and we are talking about Brazil, the "big taxes country".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast