Noob w/ Headphone Cue question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Noob w/ Headphone Cue question

Hi all I actually have two questions that i want to ask and hopefully you guys wont mind anwering

1. I currently mix w/ virtual Dj and cue with my usb headphones and have music coming thru my laptops speakers. The cue function inside VDJ alows me to hear the cue deck and the playing deck together on top of each other so its easier for me to beat match, or i can either isolate the cue deck or the master deck completely which i find really useful, to know when i should fade in or out. I recently placed an order on the Korg Km402 mixer and am anxiously awaiting to test it out , but now im curious as to how headphone cueing will work now that im gonna be jackd into the mixer instead of using my usb headphones, will i still be able to cue the old way? Or is this going to be something new that i need to get used to?

2. Im also still debating on which interface to go with, the Focusrite Saffire LE or the Presonus Firebox. i kinda leaning towards the Saffire LE cus its cheaper, but after some forum research it seems that Firebox is more commonly used. So if you guys can shed some light on to which is the better route for me that would be awesome.

Welcome to the Forum!

well, the km 402 is a 4 channel mixer, not a soundcard, so the only way you could cue (using VDJ and wanting to cue with the mixer) is if you had an external soundcard with atleast 4 outs. This way, you can route the audio from each deck into a channel on the mixer and do your equing from the mixer.

if you want to use your usb headphone cueing that you're accustomed to, thats fine, you can keep it that way. what will then happen is that you would route your master output from your laptop into a channel on the km402. and then if you had other sound sources, like turntables or cd players or whatever, you could put those in as well.

from the way you sounded in your post, i get the feeling you like the way you are cueing, but what i recommend is that you only do cueing ONCE. what i mean is, you don't want to cue from the laptop and then again from the mixer if you have turntables plugged into the mixer. its a lot easier on you if you cue tracks one time, either on the computer or the mixer. cause then ud need 2 headphones.

but what exactly do you want to plug in to the mixer? do you have any other soundsources that you use?

for the second question, i don't know much about either, but i have heard good things about the presonus firebox, i can't comment on the Focusrite Saffire LE.

good luck

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

For the cueing, yes, as long as you have a soundcard with the requisite amount of outs running into the KM-402 you can fade your cue from master to preview. Also you have handy buttons to designate what is coming out of the cue, if you have more than two tracks you want to preview at once.

:-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    For the cueing, yes, as long as you have a soundcard with the requisite amount of outs running into the KM-402 you can fade your cue from master to preview. Also you have handy buttons to designate what is coming out of the cue, if you have more than two tracks you want to preview at once.

:-)

Yes i do plan on getting a soundcard/interface just debating whether it be the Firebox or the Saffire LE, without a sound card my mixer is basically useless since its an analog mixer not a midi one . I decided to go with it cus its a decent 4 channel gear with built in FX that went for $359 shipped!! All the midi equivalents of a Four channel mixer all ran well over 1k which is a little steep for me. Trying to save up some moneys for a pair of Otus Raws when/if ever they are released. But its good to hear that I can cue like the old way that I did in VDJ cause I think I really got used to and any other way would just be a pain in the ass to relearn cause old habits die hard. Appreciate your inputs

Oh, I wasn't critiquing your choices at all. I love my KM-402, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement it into my set up :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Oh, I wasn't critiquing your choices at all. I love my KM-402, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement it into my set up :-)

Ohhh nice you own a km402 also...this is the first piece of gear that i bought for my dj'ing set up so i was wondering if you can offer some insight as to how good it is, ease of use, quality etc etc I barely see any reviews or ratings on it..basically I went in this piece of gear blindly cus who can turn down a deal for a four channel mixer with built in FX for $359 shippd?!...From what i did read on it I heard that its not possible to pre-listen to the FX meaning you have to know the FX you want to know like the back of your hands in order for you to implement it into your mix a bit of a draw back but I guess something I can live with...I hope this thing will satisfy my needs as I am kinda sick of djing with just keyboard and mouse...

I really like it, honestly. The FX cannot be previewed, but after playing with it a bit you'll find the few you really like. You can only set three presets, but you'll deal.

My main complaints are that there's not pre-gain meter, only post-gain, which sucks for testing volumes, but you adjust. The knobs and faders feel kinda weak, but the sounds and EQ's are solid. The body of the thing is huge and sturdy.

Skratchworx has a pretty solid review of it that lines up with my opinions. All in all it's a really good mixer and I enjoy it. The crossfader is loose and easy to play with, as are the volume faders. Just be careful with the pots.

You'll get a good life out of this. It also makes it easier to route the kaoss-mini as it's attached to the mixer. :-)

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything with it
    J
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

So have you found a way to implement your Korg into your digital setup or do you have some CDJ's jacked into her?? Big draw back is this things not midi compatible but the Korg Zero4 was just way over my price range. So i took the cheaper but harder route, getting an analog mixer, then having to get a interface to allow me to output it to the mixer, btw which interface are you using for your rig?. Im split between the Firebox or the Saffire LE, for now just gonna use it to spin with but looking to get into production in the future. Cheers and thanks for your replies =)

When I use Traktor Scratch (with the Audio8DJ) I use my KM402, and sometimes I'll run Decks C and D into it for loop and sample drops or something on the side. Right now I'm just doing everything internally, mainly due to space in my bedroom, but sooner than later I'm hoping to have a new desk, a new laptop and some newfound time to put everything together.

If you want to use Traktor Scratch you need the Audio8. If you are going to use Serato's timecode you need their sound card. You can do everything you want with the set up you have, pending you can do the virtual vinyl stuff.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Im not sure if im going down the Timecode route, my ideal end set up is to have two Otus Raw's to control the midi side of things, and then have two cdj's jacked into the remaining channels into the korg that will bypass my interface and just have the sounds feed rite thru the mixer cus at most VDJ only supports up to two channels, and also that way if my laptop ever crashes I can just start spinning on the CDJ's. Thats just what i had in mind tho but its all up in the air for now, but most def those Otus Raw's are going to be in my set up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast