Vestax Spin/Typhoon vs Numark Total Package
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vestax Spin/Typhoon vs Numark Total Package

Looking to buy my first ever midi controller and I have narrowed it down to being between these options.

I like the look of the spin and already have traktor on my computer but I cant find anywhere that tells me wether the spin will work fine with this.
    Otherwise for that option I would just have to spend the extra £35 for the typhoon.

http://www.djstore.com/item/usbcontr...vestyphoon.htm

http://www.djstore.com/item/usbcontrollers/vesspin.htm

The other option I was looking at was the Numark total package which comes with a soundcard and a couple of other bits which looks not bad.

http://www.djstore.com/item/usbcontr...umtotalbox.htm

Any advice appreciated

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The Spin will work with traktor. Here's a couple of threads to get you started.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12672

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10372
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

thanks for that jojo oldfashioned's mapping looks to be pretty good, other ones not much use if it freezes though.

Thanks very much for the links, seems like I could probably do even more with the spin than the typhoon on traktor with that mapping.

Anyone else have any advice over what 3 midi's to choose from?

Tech Convert

i started with the total control. i didn't really like it. i will say though that dj stormeagle has done a great job with his mapping making it a more useful controller. i used the numark with traktor pro and sold it to get the vci 100. it was definitely an upgrade and well worth it. the numark is a good way to start cause it's very cheap and if you end up not liking it or sticking with it you aren't out that much money. i'd say try to get to a guitar center or find friends that might have some gear for you to tinker with first to make the best choice.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I forgot about Stormeagle's mapping.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ght=stormeagle

I still think I like the Spin/Typhoon better. There's talk of the Typhoon not working with AMD processors though so beware of that. Could just be hype though. If I were in the same situation i think I would try and get a hercules RMX. I've never used one, but most of the stuff I've read seem to say it's a pretty good controller.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Yeh I think I am swaying towards the spin at the moment. Im running a macbook and not an AMD processor anyway.

Not looked into the hercules RMX, seen it but kinda brushed by it, maybe have another look

Tech Mentor

starting Dj here (as in trying to start and playing around with traktor/vdj/live demos a bit currently)

thinking about getting the typhoon as a starter controller to help with doing mixes and even be able to play live, would it be a good starting point? as far as i can tell from the pictures it doesnt have a huge effects section but that could easily be solved by getting lets say an X1 Kontrol for it, when i get good enough to actually use it :P

and a more general question: i dont really get how ppl can create mixes or dj a bit without some sort of controller? it seems so hard to try and do anything related to knobs or faders with just the mouse....or have i just missed a mode to kind of go ever your track multiple times and adding effect after effect to it?
    I've seen that in Mixmeister Studio you can do stuff like that, so I'm unsure what to do to get started with creating mixes :/ get Mixmeister (or sth similar) and then after getting somewhat good get a MIDI controller + traktor Pro....

has become a bit long but i'd be really glad if you guys could help me out

Tech Convert

You're dead right, you need a solid, dependable and friendly control surface to really enjoy digital DJing. I actually DJed in clubs etc with JUST a laptop for a number of years (because the controllers available were rubbish back then), but as soon as good controllers came on the market, I got one and have never looked back. Personally, I think the Vestax controllers are all good because of the touch sensitive high-quality jog wheels. Typhoon/Spin or VCI-100 if you have a bit more $$$, and you'll really enjoy it... which is what it's all about.

I've just written up four controllers here:

Four New Budget DJ Controllers for 2010
    My blog: Digital DJ Tips
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnStrobe View Post
    thanks for that jojo oldfashioned's mapping looks to be pretty good, other ones not much use if it freezes though.

Thanks very much for the links, seems like I could probably do even more with the spin than the typhoon on traktor with that mapping.

Anyone else have any advice over what 3 midi's to choose from?
    I used to use Oldfashioned's maps, but then I just decided to tinker around with the maps on my own, (I was just too lazy to learn how to before). What I found was that you can use the Vestax Spin with the Vestax Typhoon's map for traktor, so I just loaded the typhoon map, and made changes from there, now my vestax spin is solid stable, never had it crash once since I did this (knock on wood), not like it crashed very often before mind you, just pressing the play button or other LED buttons repetitively in a short period of time would freeze it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashigari View Post
    starting Dj here (as in trying to start and playing around with traktor/vdj/live demos a bit currently)

thinking about getting the typhoon as a starter controller to help with doing mixes and even be able to play live, would it be a good starting point? as far as i can tell from the pictures it doesnt have a huge effects section but that could easily be solved by getting lets say an X1 Kontrol for it, when i get good enough to actually use it :P

and a more general question: i dont really get how ppl can create mixes or dj a bit without some sort of controller? it seems so hard to try and do anything related to knobs or faders with just the mouse....or have i just missed a mode to kind of go ever your track multiple times and adding effect after effect to it?
    I've seen that in Mixmeister Studio you can do stuff like that, so I'm unsure what to do to get started with creating mixes :/ get Mixmeister (or sth similar) and then after getting somewhat good get a MIDI controller + traktor Pro....

has become a bit long but i'd be really glad if you guys could help me out
    ^ this EXACTLY! I have a vextas Spin, and have mapped it to my liking, but I'm now saving up for a Kontrol X1 to just use for effects and more mapping options. I honestly firmly believe that a Spin/ Typhoon controller coupled with a Kontrol X1 can rival most anything.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Tech Guru

I have both the DJ IO and the Numark TC which both work awesome. The only problem I have with the DJ IO is that it is not as good as say a Audio 4 or 8 I would have liked the option of buying a 3 deck controller such as a CDJ or something like that but now I'll have to upgrade the sound card first. Also the Numark TC does not have touch sensitive jog wheels which limits you only slightly. Really only thing I would use it for would have been to steal the VCI mapping and use it for effects with the touch on for effects.
    I can't comment on the other 2 as I have not used either of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast