VCI-100 won't stay on
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VCI-100 won't stay on

Hey guys - I am having an issue with my VCI-100 and I'm hoping someone knows what it is.

I recently changed the overlay... at first I was dumb and started removing all of the screws, so I took the entire case off and had also removed the screws from the faders. I put those all back on once I watched the video and saw the actual way to do it. >< So anyway, everything seemed to be in order when I put it back together and put the new overlay on (though some of the screws might be ever so slightly out of alignment so I'm worried that it might be hard to open it again if I somehow screwed up the inside.

Anyway, the problem I'm having now is that when I plug it in and turn it on (using the USB power option and a windows 7 pc) then the power light will come on, then a few seconds later it will light up like it normally does, with the jog wheels and everything, then a few seconds later it will just shut off. During this time, the USB connection and disconnection sounds play from the Windows system. After this, I can't get it to power on at all again unless I reboot the computer. This makes me think (hope?) that it's some kind of driver issue or something since the reboot seems to affect it somehow, but other than that I'm at a complete loss. Oh, also I think the cable seems a bit loose at the plug too. It clicks in, but seems to have wiggle room.

Help me Obi-wan tech tools, you're my only hope.
    Last edited by FascistDonut; 06-28-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Ok so I did manage to open it back up, checked all the connections that I could see. Everything looked right, but I did notice that a microscopic ball of solder fell out... like not even enough to hold a wire to something imho, but then also there was a small white piece of wire or at least the cover of one, about a cm to an inch long (it was kind of curled at one end) that also came out. I also found an extra screw that is longer and silver that doesn't seem to go anywhere. The top of it looks like the two silver ones on the back of the unit, one is the ground and the other is just a case screw.

Tried it in every port on my win7 desktop (the one it always used to work with) and also tried switching the cable with my Maschine cable. Also tried connecting it to the winXP laptop. The power light came on while the laptop was booting, but then still cut out after about 20 seconds.

I still have no idea what is causing it to shut off.
    Last edited by FascistDonut; 06-29-2010 at 10:25 PM.

First try a different USB cable and see if this solves your problem. I think if you posted pics of the little white wire you are talking about we could see if your controller is possibly shorting out somehow.

Yeah, I did try both usb cables I have with no change... I think I might have a third one somewhere, but both of those cables are working with other peripherals.

As for the wire - I actually can't even find it now, but it just looked like the end of a wire, like maybe a left over from when someone stripped something. (Someone else did the Arcade mod on this before I got it - it was working before though, I just managed to mess it up somehow) and the amount of solder was a dot, like the end of a stick pin you'd use for sewing.

I do know that the cardboard piece over the circuit board near the back of the unit came off. It was taped on, I replaced it with the tape as it was, but I don't think it's on there very firmly.

Well I took it apart again, re-taped the circuit board cover to make sure it is secure... no change.

It is really confusing because it will light up and boot like normal and send the correct information to Traktor while it is on (like I can play a song using the controller), but then it just shuts off.

I am a complete loss over how to continue troubleshooting this issue. I don't know what else I can isolate to narrow it down or what I can do to try and get more information.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm seriously depressed.

Wild shot in the dark, take off the piece of cardboard again. In the middle of the PCB it covers there should be a screw that looks like the one you are describing that fell out. Is it there? If its not there, this acts a contact between a couple of the boards and might be your missing link, so just put your screw back in.

If that doesn't work, watch the video on here: http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/2...iy-arcade-mod/
    It shows how to take the VCI apart and put it back together. You should be able to figure out your missing screw's location. Also check all the connections to make sure they are OK.

Long shot, but it has to be something in there!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Thanks for at least giving me something to try, Phil! I really appreciate it.

I went ahead and took it apart again (I've watched the video a few times now - though I am still kicking myself in hindsight since I had no actual reason to take it apart in the first place ><). I verified that the screw was in the location you described. It *was* pretty similar to the screw I was describing (it was also silver) but I think (and I might just be totally hallucinating this, since I have no idea where it even is if it ever actually existed) that it might have been a bit smaller and maybe had a flatter head (less mushroom, more flat like the case screws).

I went ahead and unscrewed it and then screwed it back in, just in case. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to change anything. After about 20 seconds of being on, it turned off again.

I've attached a picture just in case anyone can see anything that I can't. I'm hoping I'm just blind and/or stupid and that maybe the problem will be obvious to someone else.

Again, I can't actually verify that anything else ever came out of it, I just remember thinking that there was that extra stuff on my desk and I assumed it was from that... it's all very hazy now that it might be important.

Oh, the piece of solder did look about the size of one of those dots on the PCB... maybe I chipped it off or something? This is why I'm a computer programmer and not a electrical engineer... I hate hardware.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Any way you can take some better pictures? Check all of the areas that are taped up to make sure there's good connections in there. Some of the wires look to maybe be stretched a little bit. Check that those have good connections.

I'm not sure this is possible, or even recommended as the potential to really screw something up exists, but if you take it apart again and turn it on with the back off and see if it turned off by itself then that might isolate something that is pinched or grounding out on something internally.

If you do take it apart again count your screws and post how many you have. Someone may know how many your supposed to have. You should be able to count the screws in the video to.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

The only thing that I can think of from your picture is the two bundles of wire that are left from the Arcade mod (the ones that used to control the LEDs). Make sure the cut ends are all completely isolated from one another and also that none are touching anything metal or a PCB. The TSI still has LED commands in it and they can be getting shorted.

One last thing, make sure the Arcade button output tabs are not touching the casing, the second one in on the left looks close to the front case.

After that, I have no more ideas... Where are you located, maybe someone who has done an Arcade mod in the past lives close (I'd be happy to look at it).

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast