need a definitive Vestax spin PC compatability answer...
    Tech Convert

Default need a definitive Vestax spin PC compatability answer...

hey guys, so currently I am running traktor pro on my laptop getting back into the recreational dj thing once more. I used to have vestax pdx2000, denon s3000s and allen heath 32 mixer. but I sold it all to go traveling and now I see the explosion of portable contollers Im interested again,on an extremely limited budget.

I was looking at the typhoon but as I already have scratch pro (not duo) I figure I could just get the mac only SPIN (i have pc) and save $75 on the cost of the typhoon.

My question is, can I map this out of the box, and will the internal soundcard of the spin work with my windows PC for cueing and cue-mixing.

I think a spin and novation dicer combo looks pretty good for $350,

Thoughts?

ps; vci100 is too pricey in Canada, so no go...

Tech Wizard

The SPIN will definitely work on a Windows machine but not "right out of the box". Download the Vestax Typhoon mapping from the Vestax website and then apply said mapping (tsi file) to your TSP. Regarding your outputs...you can use ASIO4ALL to get 4 channels (2 master, 2 headphone). I'm using the exact same setup with a Dell XPS laptop/Win7 and Spin. Works great but sometimes I experience an audio glitch when searching for tracks (while typing, usually). Good luck! Oh, there's was a thread created some time ago about the same topic...can't find it now though).

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djgee View Post
    Works great but sometimes I experience an audio glitch when searching for tracks (while typing, usually).
    That could be an LED issue. Check your out commands and see if you can find some kind of conflict.

This looks like a good mapping for the spin and at least 1.2.4
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10372

Here's the search results with Vestax Spin on the title
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sea...earchid=652552

If your patient I bet you could get a used VCI for what you have as a budget.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

that's weird, I used to experience audio glitches when searching, before I had the typhoon mapping. I am on a MAC though so probably the spin integrated better. Congrats on getting it to work .

edit: FYI, the maps mentioned above were actually created by people who own the vestax spin, and use it on a PC, doesn't look like it's too hard to get it to work.
    Last edited by bmo; 07-05-2010 at 07:36 AM.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

There is a Vestax audio driver for the Typhoon called ASIO4TYPHOON that you can download from the Vestax website, it should be your best bet for the audio. The Spin and Typhoon have the same audio card.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Wizard

Pilmat, thanks for the tip. I'll try replacing the existing ASIO4ALL driver with the Typhoon one to see if that helps with the audio glitch.

@photojojo, thank you too for the LED suggestion. I've tried oldfashioned's mapping before and it's excellent. I just prefer a simpler mapping as I use the Spin along side an X1 controller(which I use for all the other bells and whistles in TSP).

Tech Wizard

Oh, one more thing...@bmo(and everyone else who has a Spin with the Typhoon mapping): are you able to get the filters to work with the jog wheel? I can't seem to get mine to Thanks.

No I was not able to get the filters to work with the jog wheels unfortunately, but I re-arranged the map a bit so that the MIC FX and MIC pitch knobs controlled the filter when the vinyl button is on. No biggie :P

@djgee, how do you like the Kontrol X1? I'm seriously considering it to accompany my spin, to take care of the effects, and cues, and jsut leave my spin as purely a mixer.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Tech Wizard

bmo, I really like using the X1 but I feel that I don't utilize it to it's fullest. I only use it in native mode so I haven't custom MIDI mapped anything. I play house and R&B music for the most part and only ever use 2 decks so the combination of buttons between the Spin with the X1 is quite overkill for me. Nonetheless, I like the combo. I mainly use the X1 for track browsing (I don't really like using the pseudo Nintendo d-pad on the Spin) and the odd effect. Perhaps you'll maximize this combination better than I can.

It's funny that you mentioned using the mic pitch/fx for filter...I've actually mapped the same! LOL.