Soundcard <--> monitor speaker cables question

Default Soundcard <--> monitor speaker cables question

I just got some M-Audio active monitors to connect to my NI Audio Kontrol 1 soundcard. I will be going XLR from the speaker but Im wondering whats best on the AK1 end. Does the cable need to be XLR to TRS (3 contact) or will an XLR to 1/4" instrument (2 contact) work? Will that just affect the signal being (un)balanced?

Go with the XLR to TRS, you will not be disappointed;-)

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Agree with Pilmat
    You want to keep the signal balanced whenever possible.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Agree with Pilmat
    You want to keep the signal balanced whenever possible.
    Is balancing still an issue if there are seperate cables for each monitor?

All these analog cables/connections are kind of new to me. Im low-tech and used to RCA's and home theater stereos.

Balanced cabling is always preferred with signals at line level or below(especially the case with mic level). Just helps drive any 60 cycle hum and extraneous interference to ground and keeps it out of your signal.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Ah, thank you sir.

So I technically could get away with using standard instrument cables if I were in a pinch? The reason I ask is I wont be able to get to an audio store for a couple of days. But I dont want to take a chance on shorting something out using the wrong cables.

Tech Mentor

yeah, standard unbalanced will work. but you should upgrade them when you get a chance.

It doesnt matter at this point. UPS screwed the pooch and delivered them to the wrong flippin' address. They must be using Mapquest. Looks like it will be a week before I can do anything.

Thanks for the input everyone, definitely helped.
    Last edited by Arkanjel; 07-02-2010 at 03:45 PM.