Discman as Jogwheel
    Tech Student

Default Discman as Jogwheel

I don't have money for expensive technics turntables or fancy USB Jogwheels so i want to build my own jogwheels. Not for scratch purposes, just for searching through tracks

I got the idea when i found my 2 old discmans, and then i thought that i maybe could use those, to build my jogwheels. My idea was to replace the laser from a optical mouse, with the one in the discman and then connect the discman to my MacBook with the USB cable from the mouse. My Mac will then recieve data when i spin the CD on the Discman, (above the laser) but the only problem is that i don't know how to "convert" the data my Mac is getting from the mouse, (the laser from the mouse which i had put into the discman)to midi signals.

i would really apreciate some help, because it feels like i'm standing a few milimeters from my goal and can't reach it because there's a little obstacle in my way.

Do you know how to di it? or do you have a better/easier way to make my own jogwheels? All help is welcome

I know that there are programs, such as this one http://www.vimidi.com/ , that convert mouse movements to midi signals. But i've never tried them. You would need to find a way to support multiple "mice". Or at least rig up a way to turn on and off the translator so you can still use your regular mouse at times. The vimidi thing does have i "Mute" feature for the x/y axis, but i doubt that it is midi mappable. You could possibly assign it with a toggle modifier, and set it up so it only works when the modifier is on.
    This is all just speculation though. Your best bet is to dive right in and try some things out.

I know how to work with multiple mice, I just havent created a software for it ... yet.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

i like this idea, keep the thread up to date with how you get on

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

my guess is that in order to use two mice, you'd need to convert the mouse hardware into something that is no longer recognised as a mouse. One way to do this might be to replace the potentiometer in an analogue usb joypad with the laser from the mouse. I'm not sure if it'd be hardware compatible (would the laser work as a potentiometer?) but if it worked it means you could use glovepie to convert the laser movement into midi and also use two lasers for each jogwheel.

does that even make sense? lol

That is nearly impossible. Also there are more simple solutions.
    For instance, glovePIE can prevent mouse events from performing actions and convert them to midi or whatever. Haven't tried it but I've seen it discussed on forums.
    PS: I hate glovePIE scripting

yeah but that wouldn't allow for two mice to be used at the same time, in windows at least anyway.

GlovePIE allows two mice to be used, except, there is only one cursor/pointer (if that's your intention to explain). But you CAN use one mouse for controlling arrow pointer (to work with windows) and second mouse to convert it's movement to whatever.

http://glovepie.org/w/index.php?titl...wing_the_Mouse

But, we digress from the original subject: discman->midi
    I would not use discman motor (altough it still is a step motor?) but intead a HDD Main drive. If you are any proficient with electronics, there is an instructable on converting HDD motor to nice midi.

there was an article on the blog some years ago in this HD thing whith nice and deatiled instictuin on how to convert it into a controller!