What did you learn in Traktor Pro today ?

Default What did you learn in Traktor Pro today ?

This thread is for sharing what you have learnt to do in Traktor Pro today and wish to share with everyone else.

Ill start:

The Problem : This one had me scratching my head for a little bit today. I wanted direct access a beatjump to, for example press a button and instantly jump 4 beats ahead in the track.

The Solution :There is no obvious midi mapping to do this but it is quite possible. It took 3 mappings on a single button.

1) Cue/Loop Move - Interaction Mode: Set to next of previous depending which direction you want to beatjump

2) Cue/Loop Move Mode - Interaction Mode: Direct - Button Options : Beatjump

3) Cue/Loop Move Size - Interaction Mode: Direct - Button Option: Set Desired Beatjump Length here.

Just simply midi learn these things to a single button and your set to go !

Use the same format i used above so everyone can learn from everyones post.

The Problem: What you wanted to do.
    The Solution: How you achieved it.

Edit - Please try to keep this thread on topic posting questions in another thread if you have them.

I look forward to reading your responses.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 11-14-2008 at 02:20 PM.

The Problem: I wanted to run breakbeat samples over some tracks, but my controller really doesn't have great control over decks C or D.

The Solution: Set up a bank of FX so that the first effect is a Beatmasher2. Set the Beatmasher2 to -100%, this will capture a 4-beat sample. You are then free to remove the track you sampled from from the deck and replace it with any other track you like - the sample will continue playing so long as one of the decks has that effect bank selected, plus you are free to mash it with the two remaining effect slots.

This way you can have 6 tracks playing at the same time - 2 loops and 4 decks. It's not as good a solution as routing through Ableton Live and properly recording the output to a fresh slot, but it's something.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 11-12-2008 at 03:09 AM.

Default Single button - Finaly

So, nice to be there, that’s my first post.

I'm so amazed with Traktor Pro that decide to make a new mapping to my UMX25 (piece of cr@p!), since I run a very cheap system with umx25 and a Creative Audigy2 ZS notebook, the latency can’t go under 20ms and I need a solution for play the song in the right cue, I found it many years ago:

Instead of use the SYNC with Hold setting, I put it to Toggle, in this way my track is constantly syncing and right in the millisecond I hit the play, the sync keep everything fine. Ok, no big deal here, but here comes the problem:

I lost count of how many times I forgot the sync of track A ON, and hit play to a new track on deck B, the result is of course the reduction of tempo on the deck A that is playing to master. Such big pain in my ass and for the crowd.

Imagine it: the dance floor is hot, 2 or 3 whiskeys in the DJ head he put the headphones to cue the next song, is completely focused on his job but until he is doing his "magic" he do not realize that the track in the floor drooped 10% in pitch, when he take off the HF full of gas to star mix the new song all the ppl are stand still looking him to understood what this stupid are doing up there. I never get this bad but almost.

The Solution: choose the same button that load a track in a deck to toggle the sync of this deck and the other deck too, so at the moment you load the track the other deck sync will be off and the new track deck will be on.

Hope helped some other poor dude that has a similar problem.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 11-12-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: bad english wroter

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elvis View Post

The Solution: choose the same button that load a track in a deck to toggle the sync of this deck and the other deck too, so at the moment you load the track the other deck sync will be off and the new track deck will be on.

Hope helped some other poor dude that has a similar problem.
    I used to have this problem occasionally too. I'm not using Traktor Pro yet (I'm waiting 'til it's had more user testing), but what I do is turn on the option in the Configuration Panel that makes a deck tempo sync to the playing track on load. That way you don't have to bother clicking the sync button. Secondly, if I'm going to do a tempo change, I set the live track to Master and the other track to slave. Do that and the Slave will adjust its tempo when the Master's tempo changes.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

As a related point, when I toggle a loop the sync always, without fail, falls apart. I haven't seriously troubleshooted this yet (plan for tonight) but to save me the trouble, any ideas?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Problem: when you start short loops on your master deck, tempo / phase sync is sometimes messed up in slave decks.

Solution: use fixed manual tempo, so the tempo main source all decks will be synced to stays constant over time, and no more phase problem.

Found as well the following nifty things, mainly using multiple assignments to one key:
    • < key would make the full browser view appear, and directly put the focus on the search text box
    • w key (respectively x,c,v) (note, I am on azerty keyboard) would directly load to deck a (respectively b, c, d) and toggle the full browser view, so back to normal, it would also focus on loaded deck (for safety, you should only allow loading into stopped deck) Would also like to sync and play it directly, but does not seem to work
    • since keyboard has limited number of keys, some functions are mapped only for focused deck:
      • stored cue points 1 - 8
      • in sync song scan (I guess because quantitize mode is on) through 4 and 16 beats move back and forward, as bento described ( I copied this from the built in performance mapping), plus back to 1st stored cue (which is always the load marker in my cue list)

In order to easily access those focused deck functions, I mapped the focus deck (direct) to a separate key for each deck

My loop toggle has two additional functions: trigger sync and hard select 4 beats loop length (because I sometimes forget I previously had a very short loop)

My loop length increase also triggers phase sync, to avoid the half beat off problem.

Will start playing with my brand new MPD32 tomorrow, I am thinking on assigning multiple function to 1 pad depending on velocity, will have to see whether it is possible
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 11-12-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Traktor scratch pro - NI Audio 8 - Akai MPD 32 - MacBook black 2.4Ghz
    DJM 800 - CDJ 800x2 - SL1200x2 - Yamaha HSM80