external 4 channel mixing w/ firebox?

Default external 4 channel mixing w/ firebox?

hey guys.

i'm considering buying a 4 channel mixer (a ddm4000 probably) to mix externally. i have a presonus firebox, which is dope. since it has only 3 pairs of jack outs at the back and the headphone out on the front, i'm a bit confused how to set it up..

is there a way to mix 4 decks externally? maybe using the spdif cable?
    i guess with the spdif cable i can connect the midi of the ddm?! would both, midi and a 4th out work with this cable?

thanks a lot.
    Last edited by basspenetrator; 07-08-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

i havent tried this with my firebox yet, but i heard you can get another 2 outputs using the headphone output on the front and simply using a splitter cable, thus giving you a total of 8 outputs (4 pairs) to mix externally with. i guess the headphone out is its own separate output, not attached to another output on the card, as other soundcards often do. this was one of the selling points for the firebox for me, although i have yet to test it out.

If it has the functionality like shmobletons says, then yeah, that'll work. I used to use a FW410 to get 4 channels into a DJ mixer. Worked great.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

thx for the replies..

in the firebox mixer program the headphone out is set to spdif (out 7/8), so i guess the two RCAs on the supplementary spdif cable should also do the job..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst