Novation Dicer -- Communication with Serato
    Tech Wizard

Default Novation Dicer -- Communication with Serato

1) Hi, I noticed that the Novation Dicer "knows" which cue points are active, on the decks in Serato. I'm curious as to how it "knows" this.

I don't own a Dicer but I did download the newest beta of SSL (2.1b2). I loaded up a few tracks with Cue Points, fired up my MIDI Monitor, and saw nothing. This says to me that either there's a special "handshake" to activate MIDI transmission from Serato, or the Dicer and SSL are communicating via some special protocol.

Anybody know anything about this?

2) I also noticed that the Dicer can delete cue points, but SSL itself will not allow MIDI mapping to this function. (You can assign a MIDI note to this button, but it will add (and not delete).

Is this a case of Dicer using some special communication protocol?

Thanks!
    rs

ps - in the end I'm interested in getting MIDI Fighter to handle these tasks. I looked at the firmware and the modification looks pretty simple, since the code is well-documented. But, none of that does any good if SSL won't cooperate...

Tech Guru

It's probably using HID to communicate with ScratchLive.

EDIT - I just took a look and the Dicer DOES speak MIDI, although it might speak HID as well. The Traktor mappings are plain MIDI. You could look in the SSL executable with a decent text editor and see if you can find the mappings - I'm sure searching for novation or dicer would bring up what you need.
    Last edited by nem0nic; 07-09-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Tech Wizard

I poked around and found two entries for "dicer". I couldn't really make anything of them, though. It does make me wonder what "Red Hammer" is though...maybe an internal name for the Serato Hardware, or a codename for Ableton integration?

Interesting...
    rs