This forum is killing me!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default This forum is killing me!

So for the past year I have been DJing parties and dances. Nothing too serious and in that time I started using traktor without any controllers just to beat match/crossfade songs and do simple stuff that parties require. A few friends of mine own vci-100 arcades so I considered getting a controller but with the amount of guitar gear(11 guitars 7 amps) bass gear(2 amps and a bass) drum gear (3 drum kits) and recording equipment i have it was just never fiscally right for me to get a controller.

now i was at target a few weeks ago and saw a numark discover dj on sale for 30 bucks. I decided to pick it up and i am hooked. i purchased a audio 2 dj to help me mix in my phones as well as an akai lpd8 which is still coming in the mail. now i want to upgrade my controller to get some more basic functionality. i was looking at the numark mixtrack as it is still only 150 bucks and has the same feel as my current controller with WAY more features. so my question is should i go for the unit, wait until i get more experience and get a vci or some other controller, or any other options?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I was looking at the Mixtrack in more detail just this morning. My big gripe with it is the mixer section is missing a knob, the gain knob. Really, if your serious about your mixes, you should have 5 knobs per deck, 3 EQ+Gain+Filter, but as a minimum you should have 4. This controller has lots of buttons and knobs that could be useful for FX, looping and cue juggling, but the mixer section to me is golden and I wouldn't want gain on a shift function.

This was my main observation. The other thing is that it is not yet released, so we will need to get an idea how well it is built before getting too far ahead of ourselves.

So for now, save your pennies a little while longer, I think the VCI-100 is going to suit your needs a lot more.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

if you can save up and get a 100 maybe used, in all honestly its the best thing out there for Traktor (this is excluding high end stuff, 4D, DX, etc.).

However, there's ALOT you can do with an Akai and a small mixer. I got my nephews a MP3 E2 and Maya 44 and they have been doing some pretty good mixes with it. Ask yourself what is this for, and what or how do you want to play. Don't get sucked into the car buying deal ---- I'm gonna spend 10g's, well for 400 dollars more I can get a sunroof, well if I'm gonna get the sunroof for a few hundered more I get leather interior, before you know it your 10g car cost 15g's but you woulda been just fine with the 10g car.

Traktor has awesome midi mapping abilities - you can do alot with just a few buttons and knobs.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I was looking at the Mixtrack in more detail just this morning. My big gripe with it is the mixer section is missing a knob, the gain knob. Really, if your serious about your mixes, you should have 5 knobs per deck, 3 EQ+Gain+Filter, but as a minimum you should have 4. This controller has lots of buttons and knobs that could be useful for FX, looping and cue juggling, but the mixer section to me is golden and I wouldn't want gain on a shift function.

This was my main observation. The other thing is that it is not yet released, so we will need to get an idea how well it is built before getting too far ahead of ourselves.

So for now, save your pennies a little while longer, I think the VCI-100 is going to suit your needs a lot more.

Phil.
    there are gain sliders for each track. seems cool for 150 bucks though. also according the numark site it says in stores now. anyone know if this is true?

Last edited by tristancary; 07-08-2010 at 06:42 PM.

it has some nice features, but DAMN it looks like a friggin toy..
    (but then again, isn't it one..? /ponder)

I would save up for a VCI mate. That thing looks ok for practising with, but within a month or so you will craving a decent controller like the Vestax for sure. BTW welcome to the djtt crew buddy, peace.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Even though the VCI-100 is realllly solid, it is recommended to everyone coming to ask for help (ok, nearly). Is it really that good? I mean, I know it is, but aren't there any remotely COMPARABLE controllers out there? In terms of price + performance + durability?

(for traktor)

Hercules Steel. Except for the wheels its better than the VCI imo. (from my time jamming on one anyway)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Okay, quite a lot cheaper though! (in a good way)

I think the reason we recommend the VCI as often as we do is that it has an excellent quality/price ratio, but most important an exhaustive resource network right here. A lot of us have cut our teeth with it, and even if we have other controllers, still have and use the VCI. So no matter what your problem, somebody on here has probably had it and can help you get up and running again. That support is priceless!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast