Help me decide what to buy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Help me decide what to buy

yeah another of those threads....

ok, starting to DJ and want to ge ta cheap but good setup. now after a lot of reading here I think i have two options that are being sold here (used):

1. VCI-100 / audio 2 dj / Traktor
    2. X1 / M-Audio Firewire 410 / Traktor

obv. other controllers are also an option but I'd rather get a VCI instead of a numark TC/Typhoon/...
    Now I've seen stuff like the DDM 4000 as well and it looks awesome but i'm not sure if it would be that good for Traktor? And on the X1 - is it enough for Traktor on its own? at least for basic stuff and not some super crazy Djing or will i miss faders?

the vci combo will be quite a lot more expensive as most sold here are 1.2, no overlay and without traktor LE. The X1 should be shipped with LE and a good soundcard from the same guy so i'm all set there

all in all I'm kinda leaning towards the X1/M-Audio Firewire 410 combo and maybe later add on another controller or something like the DDM 4000 to get all the faders i'd ever want

thanks for any help you guys can offer
    and if you have something for sale check the sales forum, I made a thread there

edit: added the name of the soundcard
    Last edited by Ashigari; 07-09-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: name of the soundcard

If you want to learn to DJ then I'd get something with jogs and faders. The VCI can do everything the X1 can plus you can learn to beatmatch on it. Also, if you do come up against CDJs, hardware mixers and even turntables you'll be more familiar with how they work and how to use them.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

VCI kit...from my experience and im sure from many other users experience, once you get this piece of kit you'll never look back, built to last and great to learn on. plus as lethal said if you come across CDJ's you'll be much more familiar.

Good luck!

+1

I started on the VCI, now I have cdj's and will soon have 2 midifighters... I feel comfortable on the cdj's as its not a far stretch from the VCI layout and im sure i will love the midifighters, again fimiliarity will stem from eans mapping of vci..

I sat on the fence for nearly a year before just buying the VCI, and although im not using it only less than a year later, it was worth every cent....

VCI
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Tech Mentor

I would say, The VCI if it's for learning and yes you will be alot more comfortable with cdj's.

Then get yourself an X1 a 4-channel mixer. And you have the best of both.
    2 channels for the VCI and 2 for the X1.

Tech Mentor

yeah getting s mixer would be nice, a big part of that is it looks incredibly awesome :P
    but not sure how those mixer+traktor only setups work really...

getting a VCI 100 for around 300$ and then adding on a audio 2 dj + Traktor as soon as i hear from the guy selling it

thanks for the input

Tech Convert

Have you considered getting the VCI-300 to use with Serato ITCH (they come together)? Build in soundcard would save you having to buy a separate one, and while many people swear by Traktor, many swear by Serato too...
    My blog: Digital DJ Tips
    Follow me on Twitter

Tech Wizard

I'm in a similar position, though can spend extra for the right solution.

Must admit though a seperate sound card bugs me, just one more bit of kit to carry. I do like the the look of the arcade VCI though.

Got a poineer MEP, but don't think that works with Traktor yet. Shame as it's nice to use, quality jog wheels etc.

Decisions, decisions...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

NO BRAINER.

Get the VCI kit.

Tech Guru

Damn... I would go to the M-Audio Profire 610 + DDM4000 + External Mixing route...
    You can buy a X1 or a SCS.3D or a midi keyboard or a korg NanoKontrol for traktor specific commands...
    And a midi-fighter for arcade buttons, cheaper and more fun then using a vci-100 just for the arcade buttons

OBS: M-Audio Profire 410 is discontinued, search the Profire 610...
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire610.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast