Dubstep BPM's and mixing
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Decatur
    Posts
    83

    Default Dubstep BPM's and mixing

    So,
    I just found out at this minute that Dubstep is usually in the 140 bpm range, but sounds like 70 because of the half steps. I've been keeping all my tracks at 70 BPM. I feel kinda dumb.
    So in my mixes my sets usually start with mixing dubstep with low bpm hip hop to get things going, and it sounds great. Only thing is now that I know it really should be 140 bpm, If I were to re correct the beat grids on tracks for 140 bpm, how would I then be able to mix this stuff with hip hop and hip hop acapellas?
    Not sure if I'm making the most sense here or asking the right question, but help would be appreciated. I never knew I was so confused about the sound of a genre.

  2. #2
    Dr. Bento BentoSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,356

    Default

    Id map the /2 and *2 beat-grid buttons to your controller so you can easily move the tempo around to mix in half time, or if you want to mix it with some higher tempo EDM then you can use *2 to get it back up.

    Its that... or mix it manually

    Or just leave it 70BPM and remember if you want to loop a bar, your going to use the 2 beats loop function and not the 4 beats loop function.

  3. #3
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Decatur
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Ok sounds good, thanks. I was sure it was an easy fix like that, I'm actually happy knowing I can mix it at higher bpms, because people my age (college student) go nuts for dubstep so it's nice to have some later in the set.

    When you say loop function, you mean use 2 beat loops to loop a bar correct? Just making sure I read that right.

  4. #4
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    i would take the traks and beat grid it to 140 if they are 70......so you have more functionality out of your effects.....also 140 bpm....is like 70.5 bpm......so if you have a 72bpm track, the equivalent is 145bpm.

    its really your choice......the only reason traktor is showing 70, is because the autogrid function. turn on the metronome in traktor....and it should click in 140bpm all the time.

  5. #5
    ctrld
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xbubbax View Post
    140 bpm....is like 70.5 bpm......so if you have a 72bpm track, the equivalent is 145bpm
    I'm sorry, but could you elaborate a little on the math in that statement?

  6. #6
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xbubbax View Post
    i would take the traks and beat grid it to 140 if they are 70......so you have more functionality out of your effects.....also 140 bpm....is like 70.5 bpm......so if you have a 72bpm track, the equivalent is 145bpm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    I'm sorry, but could you elaborate a little on the math in that statement?
    Yeah I'm a little confused to.

    Quote Originally Posted by xbubbax View Post
    its really your choice......the only reason traktor is showing 70, is because the autogrid function. turn on the metronome in traktor....and it should click in 140bpm all the time.
    If you have the master clock set to auto the metronome will click at the speed of the track playing. If Traktor thinks the track is 70 bpm the metronome will click 70 times in a minute.
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

  7. #7
    Tech Guru BradCee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Amazingstoke, UK
    Posts
    4,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    I'm sorry, but could you elaborate a little on the math in that statement?
    i think it might be to do with the subtle inaccuracies in bpm readings? i can see the logic, but it is dubious at best

    Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

  8. #8
    Dr. Bento BentoSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xbubbax View Post
    also 140 bpm....is like 70.5 bpm......so if you have a 72bpm track, the equivalent is 145bpm
    Ok thats news to me ? Are you sure ?

    Im pretty damn positive if your track is at 140.00 and you play it in half time that its 70.00

  9. #9
    ctrld
    Guest

    Default


  10. #10
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    whoops im sry i mean 70.14159265358979323846264

    gotta love math jokes.


    yes sry that last post was in err.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •