What else can I do to "up" my mixes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What else can I do to "up" my mixes?

So I've just gotten into digi Djing a few months ago. I am a long time club goer both here in the states and overseas when I lived in Germany.

I play mainly trance and progressive house and use a Hercules Steel controller and an Audio2 DJ with Tpro. I have not made a demo tape yet in order to get any gigs because I wanted to perfect my mixing. I don't plan on using CDJ's or timecodes as I believe I can do the same thing with just my controller....especially for my genre...

My question is, with this genre of music, what else can I do so it's not just mixing the end of one track with the beginning of another?

Here is my main mixing technique.
    1. count measures at the beginning of a track - it's usually 16 until the meat of the track comes in.
    2. Count measures at end of track - find where I want to drop the new tune. Mostly 16 measures from end of track.
    3 Create cue points to show me this.
    4. when I get to end of track ready to mix new one, kill bass on incoming track, wait until the 16 measures, switch bass over and either kill other track or fade out with vol. or filter.

I have a plethera of FX at my disposal, but not sure what else to do other than this to create a very clean mix....I occasionally use the gator with Bass kill 4 beats from my drop point, but that is on a rare occasion.

Any advice to create a nicer, more interesting mix is welcome! I would love to start my demo tape soon!

Thanks!

Tech Guru

listen to other mixes by superstar djs and copy the things you like about them.
    practice lots.

pretty much all there is to it, it's not rocket surgery.

edit:
    one thing is
    EQing, balancing the levels is pretty tricky. I think that was one big thing i overlooked when i first got into it myself. do some reading on production mixing/eqing, it will help you understand how to balance eqs when your djing.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 07-14-2010 at 01:48 PM.

ctrld

yeah what he said. and then add your own unique stuff (obviously no recipe for that), but don't experiment too much on a mix you want to hand out to people. keep fx to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I have not made a demo tape yet in order to get any gigs because I wanted to perfect my mixing.
    free hint: demo mixes aren't that relevant for getting booked. I think that ended ~10 years ago.

Thanks for the tips!

I guess I just figured if the EQ knobs were in the middle, it was balanced...so I rarely touched the mid or highs.

Ctrld, what do you suggest then?

Tech Guru

here read this. read lots of stuff on this website.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/02/2...-sonic-mixing/

if you get a specific question use the 'search' and see if a thread has been posted about it, it probably has.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    My question is, with this genre of music, what else can I do so it's not just mixing the end of one track with the beginning of another?
    mix at the middle of the track

actually i'm being serious, very rare i let a track play for more than a couple of mins. and i layer up tracks with 4 decks, so the odd held loop over a track and mix into that, things of that nature - hit my youtube link, and find the 2 decks 2 samplers vid

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Try doing live edits of some of the tracks by playing its parts in a different order when it's appropriate. You don't always have to play it all from beginning to end.

Dabble with keymixing if you wanna play melodies together.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 07-14-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Tech Wizard

heres a huge tip:
    record your mixes.....then listen to them, compare to other dj sets....
    you will see what your missing and want to focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    mix at the middle of the track

actually i'm being serious, very rare i let a track play for more than a couple of mins. and i layer up tracks with 4 decks, so the odd held loop over a track and mix into that, things of that nature - hit my youtube link, and find the 2 decks 2 samplers vid
    What he said. Try mixing 2 or more tracks together for minutes at a time and not just at the start and end of the tracks. I always try to aspire to mix in a way where, hopefully, people can't tell when a new track is coming in. Also, As a DJ who loves to mix and not just play tracks, I love to watch other DJ's mix, without being obtrusive of course. It's amazing how differently people approach it.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Thank you all for the tips! I'll give all of your suggestions a shot and see what I come up with! I like the idea of starting the mix sooner in the song as well as looping for a period of time until the next track fully comes in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast