Been DJing for 7 years.. Never played live. True Basement Case Needs Help!

Default Been DJing for 7 years.. Never played live. True Basement Case Needs Help!

Hey all new to the forums.

I think the title of the thread pretty much says it all. I've been mixing in my basement for seven years. I have over 50 hours of recorded mixes. I love it, I need it. I can't mix by myself anymore. I want to share it.

I'm sure you get a lot of this on these forums, but what the hell do I do next? I'm practically bursting with the need to get out there and mix live. I've been recording everything I do and meticulously listening to them over and over to improve and I think I'm at the right level to make something happen.

I really really really prefer not to be forced to play mainstream garbage to a yuppy or college bar crowd, but would love the underground. I live in New Jersey, a quick car ride away from NYC which I know has a good scene. I just don't know what to do. I hardly know anyone in the area I live that's into the same music I'm into, which is mainly Tech House, Elektro, and Progressive (Though less progressive these days). I just want to play for pure enjoyment at the moment. I have a full time M-F 9-5 job that keeps the bills paid, but obviously I wouldn't turn down a paid gig lol.

Anyway you all get the idea. What's next? I feel like a shut in, chained in the basement with nobody but my dog and the occasional roommate session.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Read the leaving the bedroom thread in the DJTT FAQ
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Invite some friends around, get all set up then strip completely starkers. That way the nervousness from playing in front of some people will become kinda irrelevant and you can concentrate on rockin' out (optional: with yer cock out)
    Welcome to tech tools mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Invite some friends around, get all set up then strip completely starkers. That way the nervousness from playing in front of some people will become kinda irrelevant and you can concentrate on rockin' out (optional: with yer cock out)
    Welcome to tech tools mate.
    Ha nice advice!

Seriously though, throw a house party... even hire a bar/function room.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

+1 on house parties. Offer to DJ any birthdays or other parties that your friends or family might throw. Anytime there is a get-together bring your gear, plug into the stereo, and rock the party.

Even if you don't always get to play the music you want, any experience is good, and having a bumpin' dancefloor is a great feeling even if you're not into the genre you're spinning.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info