Traktor Kontrol X1 "resizing" browse option
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor Kontrol X1 "resizing" browse option

Hi to everyone

I do not think this has been discussed somewhere else on this forum and this is quite strange because it is one of the first issues I found (hopefully the last).

I just purchased a Traktor Kontrol X1 and I have nothing to say about its quality and plug and play performance with traktor's last version (1.2.6).
    The problem is that when I am playing, I am used to place the "cursor" on the desired beat and then cue play it to hear if the next song is suitable with the one which is already playing. I do not use pre-set cue points, not because I am lazy but mostly because I change the "entering point" of a song depending on the moment (crowd, previous song, etc.) and honestly I would not have time to do that for each song.

Now, when I first tried to browse the songs, I realised that each "click" of the "browse" encoder are at least 8 beats. I also realised that in the advanced options, under beatjump, no matter if I move the yellow selector on "fine" or other values than "8" beats, each time I move the encoder the yellow arrow selector goes back on "8". Now, this make me think the two things might be related.

Does anybody know how to change the browse length and keep it so that I can place the song cursor perfectly on the beat when I need to fine tune or skip 8/16 beats at each click when I really have to browse through a song?

Please let me know, because this is making the X1 quite useless for me.

Thank you

Luca

Tech Wizard

Try to Map something like this
    Example
    Shift. Right.BROWSE
    TYPE = Encoder
    Mode=Relative
    Rotary sens = 2%

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by canon1nd View Post
    Try to Map something like this
    Example
    Shift. Right.BROWSE
    TYPE = Encoder
    Mode=Relative
    Rotary sens = 2%
    so basically the modification would be on the "rotary sense" parameter? or on other parameters as well? I do not have traktor in front of me so I cannot try immediately, but tonite i'll try!

Tech Wizard

Em....first sorry for my english (not good)
    Example
    similar Encoder knob will send Message(data) by each click that move.... It's have 2 message 1st is Clockwise turn & 2nd is CouterClock wise turn.. The big BROWSE Knob in X1
    is the same but It's feel like a Step knob than another Enc knob (etc. APC40 or Novation Remote sl) that makes sense to Move some parameter that feels like Step increase or decrease
    Ok..the default command that map in X1 when you press shift and turn knob is Loop/move but we don't need this Coz this command Will send a Exactly Lenght of beat to move ....
    I use Seek Position coz' I think It's move by reference to the time not the beat grid
    Ok If I adjust Rotary sens to 100 % maybe 1 turn can scroll through whole track but if I set to 50% It's mean I need to turn 2 rounds to scroll the whole track
    and in traktor you just use Modification (same way as shift) to select a multiple Resolution For Scroll through the track in 1 knob (Max 8 if u use only one Modification)

Hope this help you..
    anyway the Pot (knob/fader) you can use the sens to make somthing like a EQ crossfade
    example when it in middle possition that is max value of controller you decide turn it full not effected.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by canon1nd View Post
    Em....first sorry for my english (not good)
    Example
    similar Encoder knob will send Message(data) by each click that move.... It's have 2 message 1st is Clockwise turn & 2nd is CouterClock wise turn.. The big BROWSE Knob in X1
    is the same but It's feel like a Step knob than another Enc knob (etc. APC40 or Novation Remote sl) that makes sense to Move some parameter that feels like Step increase or decrease
    Ok..the default command that map in X1 when you press shift and turn knob is Loop/move but we don't need this Coz this command Will send a Exactly Lenght of beat to move ....
    I use Seek Position coz' I think It's move by reference to the time not the beat grid
    Ok If I adjust Rotary sens to 100 % maybe 1 turn can scroll through whole track but if I set to 50% It's mean I need to turn 2 rounds to scroll the whole track
    and in traktor you just use Modification (same way as shift) to select a multiple Resolution For Scroll through the track in 1 knob (Max 8 if u use only one Modification)

Hope this help you..
    anyway the Pot (knob/fader) you can use the sens to make somthing like a EQ crossfade
    example when it in middle possition that is max value of controller you decide turn it full not effected.
    ok got it.. will try tonite at home
    it is not very clear when you talk about "modification" ... although it sounds interesting because as far as I understand at least a bit, this "modification" would allow me to have different "scrollings" (for example FINE, 1 beat, 4 beats and 8)... is this correct?

by the way, where are you from? maybe I speak your language!

thank you!

Tech Wizard

ok made it, you have to set it in the mappings...
    1. controller manager
    2. in "device" choose x1
    3. search for "cue/loop move size" (of course for "shift.left.BROWSE" and shift. right.BROWSE) and set the desired length there...

so it is not depending on the sensitivity, but on the value you set in "cue/loop move size"

the problem is that now "fine" is enough to set the cursor on the beat but it is too slow to go to the half of the song for example... i tried to substitute the "only browser view" (shift + keeping browse clicked + rotate) with another mapping to have "fine" set there (so i could keep the 8 beats jump when not pressing down browse) but i didn't succeed... any ideas???

any expert in midi mapping who could help?
    Last edited by luca78nero; 07-16-2010 at 12:59 PM.