Product Photography Tips? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I do everything in program shift exposure…film or digital…with or without lighting. It works beautifully. Modern cameras are really good at flash exposure for product photos.

Very good advise!! All I do all day (besides surf DJTT) is take pictures and 90% of the time my camera is in program mode. I do use exposure lock a lot though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Light modifiers are also key in product photos. You'll usually prefer soft light over hard light as the first one is more even and doesn't leave sharp shadows (granted, it all varies according to your purpose).

I take pics for an airsoft store here in my city and what I use is a big white projector screen held to the wall and curved over a table to make a seamless background. For lighting I use a soft box or an umbrella on each side with off camera flashes.

On your end though, I'd buy a pair of desktop lamps with white bulbs and improvise some kind of softening screen to put between the lamps and the product you want to photograph. Definitely use a tripod and the timer function on your camera if it is a point and shoot. Avoid direct on camera flash if you can... You could also add some kind of reflector on your built in flash. Some foil paper taped on your camera and angled in a way that light reflects to the ceiling is a good way of adding more light and avoiding direct light.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Just a note guys, this thread is almost a year old that was necrobumped by a spam bot this morning.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

oh shit! Didn't notice that, lol.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123