Koass KP3 + VCI100 and Traktor

Default Koass KP3 + VCI100 and Traktor

Hiya!

Did a search but it did not bear much fruit.

I have an opportunity to get a Korg Kaoss KP3 for a bargain and needed to check a few things out woth you bunch first.

I have a VCI-100 Arcade and Traktor Scratch Pro ( 2 x TTs for DVS).
    I would think that the KP3 could be an interesting addition to my setup.

Thoughts?

Does anyone else rock a KP3 with their VCI100 setup?

How do you use it?

I see that it can be used in conjuction with your music in line with the sound to effect your audio, or it can be used as a Midi Controller.

Can it do both at once?

Is there a mode switch to toggel between the two?

Busy doing some research at the mo. Any input would be awesome!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

I have used it as a midi controller and an FX processor.

It can do both but not at the same time.

There is a button that switches between the two modes if I recall correctly. A few of the functions actually don't send midi, and I believe the encoder doesn't either...not sure about that one.

I don't have the KP3 anymore. It was fun at first as an effects processor, but then I found that I still kept going back to Traktor's effects since I could control the parameters better.

I had limited use with it as a midi controller....I did turn it into a emulated monome for a bit :P which was fun while it lasted

P.S lol Ko ass pad :P

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    I have a VCI-100 Arcade and Traktor Scratch Pro ( 2 x TTs for DVS).
    I would think that the KP3 could be an interesting addition to my setup.
    yeah, it's a good piece of gear, but in this combination you will have no choice but to use it on the master channel. this bears a number of risks.

unlike the efx-1000, the kp3 does not have an automatic audio through even if deactivated. which means: if you kp3 decides to die on you mid-set, you're screwed. you should definitely have a manual bypass, a simple RCA switch and a pair of groundlifts (one for the kp3 out, one for the bypass out) with balanced outs will do.

while not as bad as the kp2, the kp3 can still generate a pretty strong output - so you'll have to be very careful not to blow the speakers. you have to know the behaviour of ALL fx you're planning to use inside and out. no PFL, no experimenting.

also, after a few years on TS/TSP I can safely say you don't really need a kp3 if you know what traktor can do. but if you can get one cheap, go for it.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Cheers!

Well...I also saw a VCM600.....so i made an offer there too!

Its a toss up between:

1) Audio 8 DJ
    2) Korg Kaoss KP3
    3) VCM600

I got the audio4 already.....so can wait for the 8 once my mate is ready to take my 4 in a month.

The KP3...is no longer attractive...lol

The VCM600.....Bento talked me into it....in a way....he made it clear to me what I needed.

Will see if the guy bites.....

Thanks anyways guys!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

Well...the KP3 has just come into the picture again.

Just finished my APC80....but my fucking GAS man.....I WANT IT!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Did you fix your VCI?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

My mate looked at it and said it was dead.

I questioned him and he said he could find power flowing on the board....but it just does not go on!

So I told him to look PROPER....if he can;t fix....I will take it to an Electronics place to have them check it out.

Can;t be fucked.....

Tech Student

Wow I'm suprised no one has replied to this yet, well let me be the first. I have a KP3 but i use it in conjunction with a M-Audio Xponent, to answer your questions It CAN be used as a midi controler, but, I would stay away from using it like that because it can definitly get confusing. Instead I just use it as an effects unit in LINE with the audio output, I find it very usefull when performing live, but id you want to record you will not be able to use the software you are playing of to record because it will not see the kP3. I would definetly recomend buying it though it opens up so many posibilitys whaqen it comes to effects, some that software just doesnt do or doesnt do as easily. and shit the thing is cool as hell just to look at.

DUDE GET ON THAT VCM. Mix ableton into traktor and kick some ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.