Technics: to keep or to sell?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Technics: to keep or to sell?

So when I first started out DJing I thought I needed two technics and a mixer. Of course now I know that is BS, and you can DJ with basically anything.

Now my technics don't get much use as I experiment with many different controlelr options. they get played with once in awhile because I still love the feel of them. They just sit under the cover perhaps being used once a week. Now I bought these second hand, but I could probably fetch a good price for them if I sold them...

On one hand, they're a beautiful and rock solid piece of equipment with much sentimental value. On the other hand, they're big, heavy, somewhat impractical to move around. Also I'm going to be graduating college next year, and who knows where I'll get a job. Just shipping those (especially internationally) would cost a fortune.

So my question to you all is, should I sell them or will I regret it? Did you guys keep or sell your turntables when you moved onto digital gear?

Maybe I should just sell one and keep one?

Keep 'em. There's always room for techs. Almost every time i play out i use an all digital setup, but i still get the craving to play on decks quite often.

I agree, Always Keep. I`am a digital man myself but I do have a pair Stanton STR8-100's. Every so often I run a scratch session as well, feels good...

So to recap: Even if you don't use them any more, keep'em.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you just might miss it..."
    Tools:MBP 13", NI Kontrol 1,Novation twitch, Tractor Pro 2, LPD8, KRK 5's & 10" sub, AudioTechnica ATH-M40fs, Logic Express 9 and a Cactus!

Tech Mentor

but again, I am going to be moving, possibly a long way within the next year...so...how would I affordably take them with me?

Tech Wizard

wouldn't be too fussed if I sold my tt's, I could always buy another set and any pair of technics is much the same, but would be holding onto my record collection

Ok, I understand your dilemma, what I would do is factor in the shipping vs buying another set and see what option is more cost effective.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you just might miss it..."
    Tools:MBP 13", NI Kontrol 1,Novation twitch, Tractor Pro 2, LPD8, KRK 5's & 10" sub, AudioTechnica ATH-M40fs, Logic Express 9 and a Cactus!

Tech Mentor

The thing is I got my pair at a pretty good deal, so even if I sold them buying another set at a comparable price would be hard.

Practically speaking, I have no more use for them. I don't use them much, and I don't scratch, and I don't really beatmatch anymore.

The only reason I would keep them is to play around with, or for sentimental value, or just for listening to records (in which case I could just keep one). Perhaps this is a luxury I can afford later on in life.

ALSO of course I'm always eyeing new gear, and its hard to justify any new purchases with an giant unused set of hardware lying around.

Tech Mentor

Cramer says; SELL, SELL, SELL!!!
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

Tech Mentor

Is that motorized stanton thing in your sig referring to a turntable? :P

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by faeruithir View Post
    Is that motorized stanton thing in your sig referring to a turntable? :P
    that would be a SCS.1D.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer