SOS! Help with Managing a Club Owner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SOS! Help with Managing a Club Owner

I spin at the same bar every Friday night. I got the gig because I bartended there every weekend, and last year, they had a DJ crap out last minute- I filled in, and the rest was history.

A lot of people around town have noticed me and have inquired about a lot of different events. The first one I took up on the offer was a local band that was putting together a massive show on a Friday night at another place in town, and they wanted a DJ to keep the party going when their set was over.

I took the night off from my normal spot, and flyers hit the streets a few days later. Almost immediately, the owner of my spot phoned me up in a foul mood. He went on to tell me (very nastily) that it was unacceptable for me to request a night away from his club and use my name to promote a show at one of his competitors.

As an artist, I don't think he has any right to tell me that I can't play other venues, advertise my shows, etc (unless, of course, I'm under contract), but my ties to his bar complicate things quite a bit.

In my defense, I don't even care about the other bar... I just want the BAND to have a good turnout and get myself some outside exposure so I can have more regulars at my normal spot, which would ultimately benefit the owner that's so pissed off about it.

He doesn't see it that way, though. He only sees a major instance of disloyalty, and he doesn't take disloyalty very well. I actually fear my job with him- it's the only worthwhile place in town to spin at, and I make bank on the nights I still bartend there...

What can I tell him to help him understand? Suggestions?
    Trump

Trance is:"By far the best form of music that exists. A recent study showed that if a population is divided into musical preference, those who claim a strong allegiance to trance have the highest average IQ. Trance is the music of the genius-generation."

Tech Guru

bring some of his business cards... do a little promotion for him (and yourself) at this gig. write it off as expanding the clientele base.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

That's a tough one. Tell him you would be getting your name in front of people that might not frequent his bar thus bringing in new people and more money. You may need to concede this gig, but I think it would be smart business for him to let you get out and promote yourself to different crowds.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    That's a tough one. Tell him you would be getting your name in front of people that might not frequent his bar thus bringing in new people and more money. You may need to concede this gig, but I think it would be smart business for him to let you get out and promote yourself to different crowds.
    That will work the more fans you have the more people will frequent his club when you play there again.
    Here's Where I Put My Stuff Remix's/Mix's/and............. Genrally Madness

Sound Cloud :: http://soundcloud.com/herbstrike
    FaceBook :: http://www.facebook.com/pages/HerbSt...2547446?ref=ts

exactly, get some flyers made up and tell him you'll be passing them out at this show, he'll love that shit.

now the owner of *that* bar may take offense, but that's not of much concern.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Yeah I would explain this as kind of a covert mission to steal the other clubs regulars, but don't be to blatant at the other club and all should be good.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Guru

You have some good advices here...
    I wish you good luck in this challenge.
    Deal with people is much much more difficult then deal with music and techtools but you must figure this as a challenge not a problem, it may help you to not get lost in your actions...

Thanks for the input guys. I've got to go in there for my normal gig in about 3.5 hours, and I'm not looking forward to this, but hopefully all will be well in the end.
    Trump

Trance is:"By far the best form of music that exists. A recent study showed that if a population is divided into musical preference, those who claim a strong allegiance to trance have the highest average IQ. Trance is the music of the genius-generation."

Maybe be proactive and approach him first that might give you time to explain how beneficial this will be for him.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast