Harmonic mixing with Traktor's Key? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Wizard

"Okay I understand this but think I might be getting confused about what a semi-tone is. My understanding is that the 12 steps of Traktor's key knob are each equal to the interval between the 12 keys on a keyboard between 2 octaves and these intervals are called semi-tones. For example from A Flat to B is 3 semi-tones. Am I correct?"

Yes.

"Secondly I would have thought that by shifting the key knob up 14 places is the same as shifting it up 2 since 14 is just one octave plus 2 semitones hence would still be in the same key."

It should be in the same key, however all tones may a full octive higher compared to shifting it just 2 semitones. I do not know whether Traktor would resume the original octave, as if you had shifted just 2 semitones, or if all shifts are actually cumulative.

"Thirdly, does a key of A Major mean that the root note is A? If it is, then you can use the keyboard layout to compare the differences between two keys and work out how much you need to change the track to match you second track. If it is not, then what do you use as a way of comparing different keys?

Yes, the root note is "A" for A-Major. It is also "A" for A-Minor, which may confuse users without adequate music education. Three different tones are required to establish a key. The difference between an A-Major (11B) and an A-Minor (8A) may depend on just that third tone (the "third").

Much computer-generated EDM is constructed without adhering to standard rules of melody and harmony, which makes identifying their root key quite difficult. On the other hand, such EDM may equally fit as an A-Minor or A-Major, for example.

The less a track adheres to standard rules, such as much Hip-Hop and EDM, the less useful is harmonic mixing. When actual melodies are present, other songs can make a tighter fit when mixed harmonically.

Tech Mentor

Okay good. So if I have an F note in Traktor and turn the key knob to +2 then it will sound like a G. So then, if I have a track in F major and turn the key to +2 then it will sound like a track in G major?

And the differences between major and minor keys means that they cannot be matched in this way?
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Tech Wizard

Default Pitch Shifting

Quote Originally Posted by djfletch View Post
    Okay good. So if I have an F note in Traktor and turn the key knob to +2 then it will sound like a G. So then, if I have a track in F major and turn the key to +2 then it will sound like a track in G major?

And the differences between major and minor keys means that they cannot be matched in this way?
    Yes. Two clicks "up" will shift an F-Major into G-Major. Each semitone click will be approximately the same as a +6% pitch adjustment on a turntable. Two clicks approximately equal 12%. 12 clicks will equal a 100% increase, and you MAY be an octave higher in the same key.

(I say "may" because I do not know if Traktor will actually shift up a full octave after 12 clicks, of if you return to the original octave. In either case the key is the same.)

Differences between major and minor keys cannot be reconciled like this, because pitch shifters adjust the entire signal up or down. Converting major/minors would require that SOME individual tones in a track be shifted, while others remain the same.

I started reading this and felt informed, then I kept reading and kept drinking and now I wish I was either in the I iz drunk thread or back to mixing on vinyl and not knowing what fucking key I was in. Thanks for all the responses, but G'damn you guys are way too knowledgeable for an aging closet dj.

Tech Mentor

@camelot: Thankyou so much for your detailed responses, I'm sure this thread will be a good resource for the future! I get it now

@waterjunkie: basically, the 12 notches on the key knob correspond to the twelve keys on the keyboard in one octave. To match two tracks in different keys, count the number of keyboard keys between the keys of the two tracks and move the "key" knob by that much.

E.g. A major to B major: There are two keys on the keyboard between A and B hence you move the knob up by 2
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123