Firsts decisions to start (Help)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Firsts decisions to start (Help)

Hello Everyone I'm from Spain and I want to start in all of this of mixing etc (well I donīt know if what Ean Golden does in Ean Golden’s 10 Minute Mini-Set is called mix but thatīs what i want to try to do) I apologize if my English is not very good.
    Iīve been looking for something to start but I have no idea and hope that you could help me answering this questions. Thanks!

Summary down

First of all.
    What DJ-MIDI controller do I need?
    I want a cheap (or normal) one, vestax vci-300 would be the expensiest I can afford (611 euros)(794 US$ aprox)

Iīve been looking these too.
    -Hercules dj console rmx with virtual dj
    -BEHRINGER BCD-3000 Traktor 3 LE DJ
    -NUMARK OMNI CONTROL Native Instruments Traktor 3 LE Software
    -VESTAX TYPHOON (with serato?)
    -NUMARK STEALTH CONTROL with Traktor 3 LE
    All of them cost about 170-250 euros (221$-325$ aprox)

Second question is.
    What software is better to begginers?
    Virtual dj, Traktor 3 LE DJ or Serato itch
    I like Traktor for the tutorials of this web but Iīve heard that Serato itch is easy to use

Do you know if some of them are in spanish (very important to me)?

If it is important to answer me I have a PC with Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @2.40GHz 2.39 GHz with Windosws vista 32bits. I did not change my sound card (I think is Realtek HD but i have no idea)

To sum up I need a DJ-Midi controller,can't be pretty expensive and also need a software like traktor o serato preferably in spanish. I have a PC

Thank you for your answers

i see you did your homework.

Can't tell or recommend you which midi controler is best for you from your list. But defo i'll tel you what's missing on your list. Soundcard! even though you might mix in your bedroom at first, you will need soundcard eventualy. The one which comes with your PC won't make the cut.

i'm bit short on time, i'll let others explain you why.

c ya mate

and welcome to the Forum
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Wizard

Hey thanks for the answer Kupujte_Pytle.
    I've read that the vestax vci-300 come with a soundcard of 24 bits with 4 channels so maybe is better pay more than buy a controller and a soundcard apart...
    What about Serato, is it easier to use than traktor?

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

I use Traktor (haven't used Serato) and it is amazing. It can be as simple or as complex as you like and is great for both starters and pros.

As for your gear you need a few things. Firstly, a way to control your software (this is the controller) and secondly a way to get sound out of the computer and into your speakers (this is the soundcard). Some controllers have built in soundcards (for example the Behringer BCD3000).

I use a Numark Total Control, look below for the link to the mapping I use for it (this is basically what it does in Traktor). I started off with a BCD 3000 but it didn't work very well on my laptop and i kept having problems so I switched to the total control. I've been very happy with it and after a year and a half of frequent use it is still in pretty good condition (although two of the buttons give dodgy results sometimes). You can get the Numark total control in a package called "Total Computer DJ in A box" that includes a pretty good soundcard (Numark DJ/IO), some heaphones (which aren't very good) and Traktor LE. All this is cheaper than the VCI-100 and the fact that you have Traktor LE means you can upgrade to Traktor Pro for a cheaper price.

The VCI-100 is a great controller as you would have seen from the videos on this site so it's up to personal taste.

All the best!
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Tech Wizard

Hey djfletch thanks
    Now I understand more about how the controller works and what a map is...
    Iīve seen the controller that you are using and the price is ok but i could not find the offer that you said with the soundcard.. I will see in numark's web site.
    I was saying vestax vci 300 because serato and the soundcard are incorporated and Serato have a forum in spanish . I've always had problems with correct working of install drivers and those things in my computer so I'm scared of buy the controller and a soundcard apart and have problems and waste my money.

About upgrade traktor 3 LE to PRO does someone knows how much is it?
    And a question about mapping Does exist any web to find differents maps to the differents controllers? I mean if I buy a vci 300. Will I find a map to configurate it?

Thank you!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm going to say out of your choices either a VCI-100 and an Audio 2 or a VCI-300. Wether or not you want to use the FX to mix can help make that decision. Traktor has more FX options than Itch. The 300 was built as a perfect match to Itch so you won't have to mess with mappings, but it also limits you for customization. The sky's the limit for the 100 since nearly every knob, fader, and button is mappable in Traktor. As far as help goes you can get some pretty good help on either software on this forum, but probably quicker answers for Traktor.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Thanks mate!
    Iīve been calculating and a Vestax VCI-100 +Audio 4dj+ upgrade Traktor LE to Traktor PRO= 733 euros= 953 US$ aprox (+ Shipping costs of course) and for me itīs much money... well I'm thinking that a Vestax VCI-300 is just a bit cheaper

But the principal problem to me is have a mess with traktor-soundcard-computer
    Is Vestax VCI-300 and serato more reliable than others?
    Because the most important to me is do not have problems with configutarions
    Now I do not care about what program gives me more freedom to mix...
    I just want to start at the beginning

Rather than get the Audio 4 and Pro, you should consider getting the Audio 2 and Traktor Duo. It'll shave a decent amount off the cost and should be more than enough to get you started. Later you can upgrade to Traktor Pro if you want, but the Audio 2 will be just fine for DJ'ing parties. Then you can still get the VCI-100.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If your not going to hook up anything like CDJ's or turntables you don't need an Audio 4. The Audio 2 sounds just as good and will save you $100.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

So instead of a audio 4dj a audio 2 dj? does it work properly with vci-100 and traktor duo?
    Is just 100 euros cheaper (more or less) than a vci-300 so maybe is better buy the vci-300 with serato...
    I'm wathing that most of the people of this forum is using traktor so maybe is better get it for the tutorials etc but I do not know

Fu@#! I'm pretty lost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast