No midi from Trigger Finger

Default No midi from Trigger Finger

I think my Trigger Finger is starting to die.

It has started to drop out - I think the USB cable connector on the back is getting loose, maybe cracked solder or something like that, since I've tried with alternative cables and on a different laptop too.

I have a midi to USB cable, but even though Traktor Pro "sees" a USB device, nothing happens when I move any of the controls or use the pads. (I'm using a power adapter too btw, I can see the readout on Trigger Finger changing, I've checked to make sure it isn't control locked etc.

The midi cable is fine, it works running my electric piano into Reason.

Any ideas?

Is this a power issue? Should I be running the midi to usb into a powered USB hub?

is it mapped to any functions on traktor? if not find a good mapping and if that doesn't work... then make sure that it is sent to recieve only from the trigger finger

yup, i've been using it for years with my own .tks file and Traktor is still set to use this. How do I set the Trigger Finger to receive only though?

Tech Convert

If you're on Windows, fire up MIDI-OX to see if it's passing values.

Also, there's a chance that it doesn't appear to be working because you've changed to another preset. Personally, I've had the problem you describe more than once, and every time it's been because I had accidentally changed presets.

To change back to the 'default' - press memory recall, and then tap pad 16.

Here's a 'walk through':
    http://etechdocs.com/tutorials/trigg...r/presets.html

BTW, preset 16 is the 'default' pad used for most 'generic' programs.

And on a side note, the Trigger Finger has been discontinued, so you may be able to pick another one up pretty cheap if you check around.

Thanks for the info.

I'm using a Mac, so I checked out the Audio/Midi utility.
    The Trigger Finger doesn't show up (it's icon is greyed out) but it does show up as a generic midi device.

I tried activating this device in Traktor, but still no control.

I'm now using a powered usb hub too.

I've also checked the usb ports with other data transfer devices (ipod etc) and they work fine.

I'm sure I can probably pick up a replacement on Ebay, but I have a gig in 2 days and although I can limp through using Mac keyboard mappings I'm going to miss having dials to tweak 8( not to mention the confidence I usually have in knowing my setup works A1 and the muscle memory for those intuitive on-the-fly tweaks.

Anyone know what I need to do to Midi settings, or do I need a third party "virtual cable" type software?

P.S. I usually run Traktor on preset 1 on the Trigger Finger - does it HAVE to be preset 16?

Tech Convert

No, the presets can be programmed using the Enigma software. Some of the presets are defined for specific software packages or uses. Preset 16 is a 'generic' preset used in most cases when their isn't a mapping already in place or as a 'default' when things go badly and you're trying to figure out what's wrong.

Tech Mentor

yeah, it has 16 presets that you can set up. ive had the same issues. i solved it with a USB hub. but i am looking at replacing it. it was good to get my started on my play style, but i want something better. im looking at actually getting an x1.

Tech Convert

The trigger finger is a good basic midi controller. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine, but as I moved on I went to specific purpose controllers like the SCS3, Xponent, X-Session Pro, and the like. I went smaller with my 'general' use controllers with a Korg NanoKontrol but still use the Trigger Finger sometimes. It's just a handy generic controller....

I heard rumors they're coming out with a Trigger Finger 2 - but haven't seen anything on it yet. That controller is in VERY widespread use... I can't imagine them not replacing it.