DIY enclosures

Thread: DIY enclosures

Tech Convert

Default DIY enclosures

i am getting very interested in a wide variety of music oriented electronics projects (i.e. monome, midibox). my one issue in costs is the high cost of enclosures and panels (having them engraved). So, i was wondering if there are any effective DIY solutions to creating enclosures and panels for such projects
    cause it would be badass to put a midibox SID in an NES case

thanks

Tech Mentor

Buy a trim router for cheap (as low as $15 sometimes on ebay)

draw out your enclosure real accurately on your chosen material or enclosure (wood is easiest)
    make sure it is clamped down safely and securely
    With the help of guides and straight edges carefully route out the holes you require

Alternatively, first make a guide out of a scrap piece of wood, then clap this onto your enclosure/material then just follow the guide with the router.

make sure you are comfortable using power tools/loud machinery before attempting this!
    It'll take longer and maybe not look as good depending on your skills, but its definitely cheaper than custom ordering.

Tech Convert

any specific router reccommendations?

Tech Mentor

Pretty much any old trim router will do, just make sure it has the ability to run along a straight edge or use a guide. Some way to keep you on course and away from your fingers.

Mudo

It works with inox plates?

timber end cheeks and simple cut and bent aluminium sheets metal for the casing, for the instant vintage analogue look.