Copyright / Royalties
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Copyright / Royalties

Sup guys... I looked around though couldn't see anything on Copyright, so I got a question

'I've spent most of this summer touring Europe with about 30 mates, spinning at raves and parties all over . So the guys asked me to put 3 mixes onto a triple CD as a relic.... I'm mastering the sets as we speak, arranging for the artwork and all of that but I'm unsure about copyright.

Obviously there would be around 30 copies and some spare just in case (like 10 so real small amounts).... as these would technically be gifts (e.g. no revenue would be collected from the CD's) do we still have to pay royalties?

This is all a grey area for me as just getting into this side of the story so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the help! Once they're up on SC, I'll send on the links!
    Dutch.

I have a numerous mixes all over the shop free to DL I make nothing out of it, afaik I am actually promoting the tracks i purchase with my money, so if people are going to have a problem with me giving them free promotion when I paid for their tracks, they won't be getting played anymore ;-)

I can't see how you giving friends a mix CD of tracks and not making money is a problem, lets be honest it was illegal to record the top 40 on the radio when I was a kid, it's illegal to burn your mp3's to a CD and put them in your car, take it your getting the drift

it's always illegal when it suits the person who can make money, in this case i don't think you have anything to be bothered about.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the sense check Ciar2001!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

What Ciar said
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Thanks for the sense check Ciar2001!
    anytime m8 I used to religiously listen to the top 40 on a Sunday as an 12 year old, things like golden brown by the stranglers would be playing we would record the whole top 40 show on casette and then share em around with our mates,jesus that makes me feel old hah!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    things like golden brown by the stranglers
    OT: I'm putting together a short playlist right now for something a little bit different and that's on there. Along with The Jam, some Siouxsie and others of that ilk
    Chris Jennings FHP

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Siouxsie
    SPELLBOUND is my fave Banshees track... Love em.

I love all that post-punk stuff. Tell me your putting some Killing Joke on the playlist and ill kiss you :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    SPELLBOUND is my fave Banshees track... Love em.
    Everything is pre 80's so I'm going Switch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ0FL...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I love all that post-punk stuff. Tell me your putting some Killing Joke on the playlist and ill kiss you :eek:
    I was, but not now. :eek: I don't think I even have any killing Joke. I'll see what I can do for you though.

I'm glad the OP got his answer quick cause I've derailed this thread pretty quick.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    OT: I'm putting together a short playlist right now for something a little bit different and that's on there. Along with The Jam, some Siouxsie and others of that ilk
    I have been tempted to put something together completely different to well EDM, I have been listeninig to lots of swing, jump blues, blues from the late 30's to the 50's of late really love this stuff, you can truly hear where modern r&b disco even house gets it's influence from, but I have not got a clue how to go about it lol.

to be honest I don't honestly think it needs to be put together maybe rearranged into slow middle and proper uptempo jump blues and rockabilly, maybe i will give it a whirl,let me hear the 80's mix when it's done

make sure going underground is in there along with some specials or madness! or there shall be words lolz

We've got lots of The Specials (my son's a big Ska fan, knows more about it than I do) and I even scored a remix of Ghost Town the other day. Okay I'm motivated now, look for it by weeks end. No fancy mixing though, just good music.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast