Blogging Music: Artist Promo Policy

Default Blogging Music: Artist Promo Policy

Hey guys,
    So I'm pretty happy that my blog is starting to get some decent exposure, and I've been lucky enough to have been contacted by one of my favorite artist's managers (Max Cooper). Anyways, I'm now on his promo list.
    I was wondering what the normal blogging policy was for not yet released tracks. Hosting it on my site without a download available? A preview? Can I only discuss the tracks?
    I know the whole point of a promo is "promotion", I'm just not sure of how much we're actually allowed to do.
    Thanks!
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

You should talk to the managers or the artists themselves to find out their specific policy regarding this. If you don't follow their rules, they'll stop sending you music. :eek:
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Vly View Post
    Hey guys,
    So I'm pretty happy that my blog is starting to get some decent exposure, and I've been lucky enough to have been contacted by one of my favorite artist's managers (Max Cooper). Anyways, I'm now on his promo list.
    I was wondering what the normal blogging policy was for not yet released tracks. Hosting it on my site without a download available? A preview? Can I only discuss the tracks?
    I know the whole point of a promo is "promotion", I'm just not sure of how much we're actually allowed to do.
    Thanks!
    I discussed the exact same thing with a major promo company in the UK and the answer was a flat NO.

At the time i had a space in an eFlyer that had my weekly Chart. The eFlyer had 20,000 subscribers (not because of me, it was at a Uni).
    I wanted to have previews of tracks no more than 20 - 30 seconds (like iTunes).
    It would have involved way to much work chasing record companies and management to get passed the first stage. The Promo co said they wouldnt help as it just wasnt something they did (i did a lot of promo work for them anyway) and that was that.

I guess the companies just turn the other cheek cus there are so many blogs. I see some of the track i get on upfront promo on blogs which can only have come from one company.

The only time i know that Promo companies get active is when people sell their pieces on eBay.

Maybe things have been relaxed, this was a few years ago.

Thank you both for the replies. Pretty blurry world out here in the digital world with all the IP and copyright stuff. I'm probably best off just asking as Lambox mentioned.
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

Tech Guru

they'll usually say in the email how they want you to handle the promos they're sending you, if you can share it on the blog or if it's just for editorial/review purposes.

but if they don't say in the message what they want you to do with the mp3, i recommend emailing them back to clarify. i had a fellow send me his recent single and he did not clarify what he intended for me to do with it, so i assumed it would be kosher to share in on my blog. well, as it turned out he did not want it shared - so lesson learned.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If they don't clarify up front you would be wise to ask.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x