Mixing with the volume channels or cross fader?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mixing with the volume channels or cross fader?

Just curious as to what the benefits are to either way. I've seemed to always just use the crossfader but I know a lot of people leave it in the middle and just use the volume controls for each channel.

What say you?

Tech Mentor

I only use the cross fader for 'scratching' (I still really suck at it!) other than that it lives in the middle. I find using up faders just allows more detailed mixing and control over the outgoing audio signal.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use volume faders because they fit in better with long mixes.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I keep the crossfader curve in the on/off position and use it only for scratching. Depending on your mixer, the channel faders usually give you a lot more control over your mix. But I also use the EQ levels extensively for fine tuning the mix -- a lot of the time I'll bring both channel faders up and the cross fader in the middle and mix almost exclusively with the EQs.

If you're on the VCI-100 with the djtt mapping, the crossfader is a great tool when you're in fader fx mode and you want to cut the sound ... I sometimes forget this and pull the volume fader, which of course doesn't work this way in fader fx mode. D'oh!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I keep the crossfader curve in the on/off position and use it only for scratching. Depending on your mixer, the channel faders usually give you a lot more control over your mix. But I also use the EQ levels extensively for fine tuning the mix -- a lot of the time I'll bring both channel faders up and the cross fader in the middle and mix almost exclusively with the EQs.
    I guess I could have elaborated a little more. I do it this way as well for the most part.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

i usually use the volume faders
    ill occasionally use the crossfader if i need to do a slam and theres no room for error (less distance to move) but then i lower the volume fader all the way on the deck i just took out and put the crossfader back in the middle

I don't use the x-fader so much these days. It is usefull for quick cuts and drunken trainwrecks tho .. I moved from internal to external mixing once we got our own mixer so am quite used to that now, plus changing the channels on the fader is a pain in the ass .
    Last edited by Jester; 07-30-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I find it depends what I'm doing, some mixes with best with the upfaders, some with the crossfader.

Tech Convert

My garage DJ friend says him and his garage pals never use the crossfader, riding the volume controls instead. Mind you I'd call what he plays "fast r n b" not garage. Apparently in that scene the X-fader is a no-no.
    My blog: Digital DJ Tips
    Follow me on Twitter

i use the cross fader & volume faders been doing this since the dawn of time
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast