We dont book DJ's that use controllers! - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fracas View Post
    Here in Dallas Tx we dont have that problem.
    Dallas huh? I'll be in Dallas tonight, not playing though, just eating and shopping.

Maybe you need to include video with your demo cd's so the promoter knows you don't just stand there and stare at your laptop the whole time. Familiarizing yourself with how being able to use CDJ's would be a plus because then you could just say ok I can do it on CDJ's. After a few gigs bring in a controller for FX and before you know it it'll be all controller and you'll have convinced the promoter that controllers aren't all bad.

I wish there was some way to poll club goers across the country and ask the if they care about what the DJ is doing then see all of the results in one place.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

oh boy...just join the stupid club...either play on cds or learn how to play on serato.

1. Download & Install Serato http://serato.com/downloads
    2. Download Serato CD Timecode CD (.wav) http://rane.com/scratchlivecontrol.zip
    3. Setup playlist/cue points/analyze you tracks on offline mode
    4. Learn how to play on serato on the clubs gear or hook up with fellow djs that use SSL

Make a name for yourself and once you become a known dj, the promoters & club owners dont give a rats ass what you play on. I've been djing for some time and i regularly play in clubs & bars. You can either join them or not get gigs and do everything the hard way, Its simple as that.

I am not trying to be a dick, but I see how promoters see it, because I also promote too. Most DJ's that play on traktor/virtual dj etc & a midi controller are usually rookie djs that dont know how to hook shit up or are using a crack copy of the software, blah blah blah. Once the dj has made a name for themselves they can show up and do a whole night on ableton and they would even question what you are doing.

Mis Dos Pesos!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Most DJ's that play on traktor/virtual dj etc & a midi controller are usually rookie djs that dont know how to hook shit up or are using a crack copy of the software, blah blah blah.
    I think that's the root of the problem, midi controllers have made it so that $99 and a torrent site make you think your a DJ. And with Soundcloud promoters don't even know if that's really you on the demo cd either. It used to cost some serious change just to get into the game on your own, but that's not the case now.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    on an unrelated note, the monkey bit just reminded me i thought for ages that your avatar was a monkey, fuck knows how.
    Ditto.

On a related note, the promoter at my local haunt went and bought a controller the day after he saw me spin with my vci. shame more people who are seasoned djs (hes been at it since before i was born) aren't as open to change and experimentation as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Dallas huh? I'll be in Dallas tonight, not playing though, just eating and shopping.

Maybe you need to include video with your demo cd's so the promoter knows you don't just stand there and stare at your laptop the whole time. Familiarizing yourself with how being able to use CDJ's would be a plus because then you could just say ok I can do it on CDJ's. After a few gigs bring in a controller for FX and before you know it it'll be all controller and you'll have convinced the promoter that controllers aren't all bad.

I wish there was some way to poll club goers across the country and ask the if they care about what the DJ is doing then see all of the results in one place.

I believe we know each other chris. Check you Pm box.
    Traktor Pro, Kontrol X1, 2x Xone 1D, Pioneer DJM600, Technics 1200 M3D's, Toshiba Windows 7. Audio 2
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢) ┌∩┐

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think that's the root of the problem, midi controllers have made it so that $99 and a torrent site make you think your a DJ. And with Soundcloud promoters don't even know if that's really you on the demo cd either. It used to cost some serious change just to get into the game on your own, but that's not the case now.
    x2 agree with this 100%

I mean for a promoter im sure he has seen his fair share of people come in and talk the talk on midi's because like u said £99 and a torrent site and somebody else's mix tape and you could be playing anywhere if that was the case. Too much people just see the midi as 'cheating' because the industry was and still is alot of the time over run with these people who claim to be dj's with theses kind of set up and big ball persona's.

It was alot easier to spot a someone with talent and someone without when it was two turntables and a mixer but the times are changing and we all need to get with it. I mean i get people who learnt on cdj's saying that when i use midi I'm 'cheating' but give them a pair of technics and they shit bricks. I've learnt them all and had them all. At the end of the day i think its what you can do with what you got that counts

Tech Wizard

That blows. But most of the promoters around my area care more about the demo than the equipment. I learned on TTs, and moved on to CDs and I'm in the process of switching to Traktor + controller. It's great to know how to use all types of media. I used Torq, but if you don't know Serato, you'll be in trouble because 99% of the clubs here use Serato and they'll start a shit storm if you swap the gear out. I personally think they should love DJs who bring controllers because if someone screws up the gear, that's less hassle for the club.

This is also a good reason why DJs should learn proper beat matching. To be able to play on vinyl, CDs, and laptops is a great plus.

Tech Guru

here is to living in places where promoters care more about what comes out of the speakers then the hardware used!

-Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Promoters also just care about what comes out the speakers around here. As long as it is Lady Gaga remixes or David Guetta..

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by looneygeorge View Post
    Promoters also just care about what comes out the speakers around here. As long as it is Lady Gaga remixes or David Guetta..
    David who?
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast