Questions about basic pots and stuff

Default Questions about basic pots and stuff

Hello!

First thread! I love thus forum, and djtt of course.

I have some basic questions.

I plan to make a controller out of a gamepad. This will be my first project with slide pots and regular pots. So I wonder wichita pot from Muse that I should use for basic crossfader and volume sliders?

And for the regular knob pots... Can I use anyone that is 10k?

EDIT: Ehh... I mean Mouser.com ... not "Muse" .... and "which"... not "wichita"

Oskar
    Last edited by oskars; 08-01-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Corrected....

what are you basing it on, ie whats converting the analogue resistance value into midi info?

generally they will specify what value of pot to use, for controllers linear pots rather than log ones give the best control.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggers View Post
    what are you basing it on, ie whats converting the analogue resistance value into midi info?

generally they will specify what value of pot to use, for controllers linear pots rather than log ones give the best control.
    I will use a HID to MIDI software (don't know which yet)... That should work, right?

I think I will use this kind of gamepad: http://www.webhallen.com/hardvara/62...analog_gamepad

What kind of pots/slide pots should I use?

The HID to Midi software solutions out there work great, atleast the few that i've tried.

As for the pots, this really depends on what is being used in the gamepad already. The majority of thumb joysticks use 10k, but that doesn't mean that they all do.

Oh, okey! Thanks for the advice! I will buy the gamepad first so I can see what I need!

Is it possible to use a knob with "unlimited rotation"? For browsing and such?

Nope, a knob with "unlimited rotation" aka Rotary Encoder, is an entirely different kind of signal than basic analog pots. Rotary encoders actually send a digital signal, and these vary in type depending on which kind of encoder.

Wait, i think i miss understood the question. Yes you can use a knob with unlimited rotation for browsing tracks and such in traktor, but you will not be able to hook one up to that board.

I have done some testing with arcade buttons soldered to my gamepad... when I do some cue point juggling the performance from my new button lacks(?)... Sometimes it plays the cue in Traktor great... but when I rapidly push the button the sound from Traktor gets really out of sync... eeh... It's hard to explain this in english! =)

The same function works great with my X1... I dont think that my new arcade but is less responsive... but it doesn't get the same work done......

Got any tips?