How do I improve controller accuracy?

Default How do I improve controller accuracy?

Ok I need help with another issue. When I use X-Session Pro with Traktor, I find that the pitch sliders don't provide the very fine movements that I would like to make. I assume it's because the X-Session Pro is cheap. I don't know. I want to be able to adjust slider values by individual digits, or as close to that as possible. I hate it when I barely touch it and it jumps like 10 digits or so.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get finer control?

Quote Originally Posted by Synaptic Flow View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get finer control?

The limitation isn't with the controller, it's with the MIDI standard itself. Each slider on a MIDI controller can only send out values in the range 0..127, so when you move the slider, you have to move it a noticable distance before a new message is sent out.

One way around this is to separate fine pitch changes from gross ones - for instance, setting the slider to output +/-10% in normal use and +/-1% when another key is being held down. Best of both worlds. Another solution is to map the pitch changes to a controller outputting relative values, like the scratch platter. This way you can set the platter to output +/-1% and if you need large steps you just keep rotating the platter through more rotations.

The next generation of controllers should have god solutions to this, and the upcoming MIDI standard will also help. But for now, everyone, regardless of the cost of their MIDI controller, is in the same boat.

So there is going to be a new MIDI standard? Does that mean replacing all of our pre-existing hardware? I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaptic Flow View Post
    So there is going to be a new MIDI standard? Does that mean replacing all of our pre-existing hardware? I hope not.
    Yes and Yes(for those peices of hardware whos manufacers dont issue firmware upgrades)

It will be called HD-Midi

On a nice note EKS told us they plan to release HD-Midi drivers for the otus when it finally comes to the day that the standard is released.

And when the otus is finally released.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.