anyone here dj with an external drive?
    Tech Mentor

Default anyone here dj with an external drive?

im considering putting my tunes on an external and using it to DJ. wondering if anyone else does it or has any advice

i use an 8gig flash drive

make sure its plugged in and dont move files around on it

Tech Mentor

im going to have to rock a usb hub in order to run my sound card and two controllers if i get an external. too bad powered hubs are 5x the money as an unpowered one!

using fire wire instead of usb might help, if its an option

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010LXT5Q[/ame]

7 ports, 8 bucks. I run midi fighter, VCI-100, Trigger finger, logitech joystick, and audio 8 off this, also sometimes APC 40 (though that one has its own power supply). I never need to even use the included power supply, but YMMV on that front -- USB power varies from laptop to laptop (I'm on a MBP and the hub connects to the USB port on the left side of the computer). If you are going to use the power supply you should get a 4amp power supply as the one it comes with is only 2amps.

I don't plug hard drives into this hub though, I run everything off the internal. If you're using an external, probably ought to give it its own USB port and stay off the hub entirely. If you have 2 ports on your computer you ought to be able to do this -- hard drive/flash drive in one port and everything else on the hub. Cheers!