Ableton Intro or Full Version?!?
    Tech Mentor

Default Ableton Intro or Full Version?!?

I want to get into music production and have the dilemma of deciding whether to get Ableton Live Intro or the Full Ableton Live 8. My main question is, would the limitations of Ableton Intro soon become frustrating or does it do enough to last a beginner like me for a while?

My main concern is that if I get the full version (downloadable), it doesn't actually come with any instruments (not too fussed about the loops at all) so I would have to buy some. On the other hand, the Intro version does include some instruments and you get a free partner instrument. Heres the options:

Ableton Live Intro: $99

Ableton Live 8 (Downloadable)(Education): $269

Ableton Live (Boxed)(Education): $329 - The boxed version does come with loops +instruments.
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

you can download Ableton live 8 for 30 day trial period, just a thought! Thats what i did.

Use the 30 day trial man. I'll put it this way, most people either love ableton or hate it with a passion. So with a 30 day trial you'll be able to find out if its for you or not. If it is what you're wanting to use, then you're going to want the full edition. If it's not then you saved $100.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Im sure i remember Bento saying that Live Intro was not worth the money and was under-featured ..?

Tech Mentor

yeah i downloaded the trial of the intro and full versions and lost a whole weekend to them.... i absolutely love ableton, but for what i was using them for, I couldn't really tell the difference between the Intro version and the full version. Just wondering if there were any major things that would inhibit me (as a beginner. so only having 2 FX sends is not a massive issue, but on the other hand not being able to use VST's may suck in the future once i'm over the instruments that it comes with, how much do you guys use them?)

Well the other instruments will be up to your style. But the lack of VST's is something that will definitely limit you. When you really get into producing, you pretty much need VST's.

Tech Mentor

yeah except for me, i think buying something like Massive is a verrrrry long way in the future. when it says no VST's, does that also include ableton instruments?

Not sure about the ableton instruments. But there are a lot more utilitarian VST's out there that are free and come in handy for production. Here's a newer one i've been using lately...
    http://www.kvraudio.com/news.php?id=14753

Tech Mentor

ahh yess, i forgot all the wonders of free vsts. cheers for the site and advice