People of the djtechtools world ... Can u help me ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default People of the djtechtools world ... Can u help me ?

Ok it's my birthday soon so a present is coming my way. I'm in ireland by the way.

I've recently started producing using reason 4 but i hate it, have used ableton at a friends house and loved it, I'm planning on producing minimal, acid house, tech house, techno & deep tech house. Maybe some french when i get some way good.

But anyways back to the problem i have a choice between a birthday present of,

A:
    Novation launchpad Around - €185.

Second Hand Roland MC 303 - €150

Ableton Live Intro Version + Akai Lpk 25 - €150

OR

Novation Launchpad + Ableton Live Intro Version - €259.

What is the best thing to get ? Bareing in mind the MC 303 could be bought at any time by someone else.

Please help guys , As quick as possible

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Dude, 185 euro seems really steep for a launchpad, I'm pretty sure they're like 150USD?
    As for your gear choices? I have no clue as I don't produce but just thought I'd give you a heads up about the price of that Launchpad you were looking into.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

199.99 USD from guitarcenter.com .

Prices have went up in the past few weeks due to VAT changes i think.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Ahh I see, I stand corrected
    Good luck with the decision, anything keyboard like might be a good idea if you have experience playing piano or stuff like that.
    Might be worthwhile getting something bundled with Live since you said you loved it when you tried it.
    Also depending on how good condition it is the Roland looks like a good piece of kit, keep in mind you could always expand your equipment later to suit your needs.
    I'd probably go for the Roland and get the Ableton Intro Version separately, but that's just me lol.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

I would go with:

Ableton Live Intro Version + Akai Lpk 25 + Ldp 8

or Ableton Live Intro version + Oxygen 8 v2
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I would go with:

Ableton Live Intro Version + Akai Lpk 25 + Ldp 8

or Ableton Live Intro version + Oxygen 8 v2
    +1 - The launchpad is really a performance tool when playing out, I don't think it has the scope the others you mentioned performance-wise unless you are planning to play out?
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Tech Mentor

Just remember that the intro version can't use external VST's (not sure about Ableton Instruments), so you may want to bear that in mind. If you are a student, uni or school, the full version of ableton live is only $269 otherwise i think its around $400.
    But as has been said, the launchpad is a performance tool so just ableton and a keyboard would be ideal.
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Tech Mentor

Oh Feck,

I didn't know about Live Intro Not Being Able To Use External VST's.

The MC303 would be great but keep in mind it's a standalone groovebox and won't allow you the expansion possibilities of a DAW system. That being said, I've found over years of production that having limited resources can force you to be more creative, really get to know your instrument, and spend far more time actually making music than looking through drop-down menus of 200 VST synths. Grooveboxes are fun as hell and you can make a lot of great music with them. However, if you don't like Reason you may not like a groovebox either.

If, however, you want to go the computer route you will definitely want a keyboard interface but pass on the LPK. It is more or less a toy and you will outgrow it very soon. My recommendation is the Akai MPK25 (http://www.akaipro.com/mpk25) it has semi-weighted keys, MPC pads, knobs, buttons, transport control, etc. Check out the M-Audio Axiom series (http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...ardcontrollers) as well, I used one for a while as my main production controller and it's great for getting started. If you have no desire to use a keyboard interface check out the APC20 (http://www.akaipro.com/apc20). All of these come with an introductory version of Live that will be sufficient until you figure out if you really want to drop the cash on a full version. Don't worry about VSTs at first, get to know the Ableton effects and instruments REALLY well before you start to mess with anything else. A lot of them are really great and it's veeeeery easy to get bogged down in VSTs very quickly.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you need to use the intro software, get the MPK25. Going to have the most solutions.

I think it might be a good idea, though, to get the full Ableton and learn how it works with a cheap midi controller, and then move to something more complex.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast