How do y'all handle lacking inspiration?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default How do y'all handle lacking inspiration?

There is no way that I am the only one here that occasionally hits a roadblock when it comes to DJing and producing. There's just times were I cannot produce anything of quality, and I just feel largely uninspired. I'm not going to force myself to try to produce something, because we all know how that would turn out.

If anyone says something like "I never get tired of it because when you find something you love you never get tired of it, music is my life..." I will slap you back to 1955. Say hi to Marty McFly for me.

But seriously, there's nothing I love more than making music, but there's times where I just am uninspired, and don't feel like producing. How do you guys handle this?

(I'd like to take this opportunity to say that y'all isn't typically a word I would use, it just felt like the right thing to do at the time)
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I know I find most of my inspiration from listening to the music that inspired me to write/DJ music. Also, I find a lot of inspiration from books, pulling apart their themes and characters and emotions.

And it's kinda cheesy, but the world around me inspires me a lot. Random conversation can end up pretty poetic.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    There is no way that I am the only one here that occasionally hits a roadblock when it comes to DJing and producing. There's just times were I cannot produce anything of quality, and I just feel largely uninspired. I'm not going to force myself to try to produce something, because we all know how that would turn out.

If anyone says something like "I never get tired of it because when you find something you love you never get tired of it, music is my life..." I will slap you back to 1955. Say hi to Marty McFly for me.

But seriously, there's nothing I love more than making music, but there's times where I just am uninspired, and don't feel like producing. How do you guys handle this?

(I'd like to take this opportunity to say that y'all isn't typically a word I would use, it just felt like the right thing to do at the time)
    Take a break! I took a year and a half off and when I came back I landed a huge residency in Miami. If it's a chore to do it then don't do it. I always said when it's not fun anymore is when I quit. So I did and when I felt like it was time...B00M! Back in action.

Another option is to change the game...Maybe try a new genre or sell some gear and change it up. The goal is to make music fun and enjoy it, if it's a chore say F it and go total silence monk style.
    Last edited by bigbeatzz; 08-09-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

I find the best thing for me at a creative roadblock is to explore different kinds of music. I had a dry spell for about six months until I started listening to some old Howlin Wolf records I had lying around. I really got into old, gritty blues and suddenly I was inspired again and writing every day!

I usually try something different, something that i've never done before. Then i take that experience and try to express my feelings from that in my music.

the way i see it, the only time i'm not inspired is when something becomes boring, stale even, playing the same genre the whole time bores me so i switch it up and stay inspired!
    MBP 13'' - VCI 100 SE - Audio 2 DJ - Traktor Pro 2 - Akai LPK25 - Traktor Scratch Pro - Audio 8 DJ
    http://soundcloud.com/prcll

Tech Guru

After Is tarted mixing a few months back, I found the best thing to do when I find my mixing to be absolue crap is to take break.

I picked up Starcraft 2 a few weeks ago. At first I was worried that it would take over mixing (and eventually producing) as my primary hobby. But I found that it is the perfect balance as something to do when I do not feel like mixing.

I also take time to listen to music that I still love to lsiten to (Protest the Hero, System of a Down, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc.)

Doing all this helps me clear my mind for new ideas.

Gianmarco

(I would also liek to take thits time that I have been using "mate" a lot lately, even though I am in no way english)
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Looks like the overwhelming theme here is to try something different. Sounds like good advise to. I have other things I do running, bicycles, motorcycles, backpacking, etc... that all get different amounts of quality time from me because I'll get tired of doing one and switch to the other.

If I had followed that same advise when I was your age and not taken two residencies plus a bunch of other stuff for one of the clubs in the 80's I might never had quit then.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Looks like the overwhelming theme here is to try something different.
    Indeed. The problem is, I just realized, is that I don't even have any other hobbies. That's kinda sad.

But anyway, I have been trying to spend more time with my friends too, because I'm leaving for school this Friday.

I like the idea of trying to produce in other genres, but that kinda feels trying to paint for the first time after I had been drawing for several years. If that makes any sense....
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Indeed. The problem is, I just realized, is that I don't even have any other hobbies. That's kinda sad.

But anyway, I have been trying to spend more time with my friends too, because I'm leaving for school this Friday.

I like the idea of trying to produce in other genres, but that kinda feels trying to paint for the first time after I had been drawing for several years. If that makes any sense....
    The biggest thing I would do is take time off, as gay as it may sound, put DJing and producing COMPLETELY out of your mind and focus on school, girls, new friends etc. are you gonna be a freshman in college this year like me? if so, where are you going?

Anyways, get an xbox or something and just relax, in time, something will spur you to think... "fuck yea! i really miss this shit! i need to get back at it" and you'll be as good as new.
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast