Reloop DJ2 or Vestax VCI-100
    Tech Student

Default Reloop DJ2 or Vestax VCI-100

I am leaning towards purchasing a Reloop Digital Jockey 2. I have a few questions for the folks out there who know this controller well, compared to the VCI-100.

#1. Is it true you can kill the EQ's individually on the Reloop simply by pressing them? I love the idea of this, as it seems more natural... Apparently you cannot do this on the VCI-100. You'd have to map some other buttons to act as kill switches?

#2. Is the Interface edition of the Reloop a bad choice? Is it better to go with an Audio 2DJ and the controller edition? Any arguments? I am hearing the sound quality of the internal card is not great.

#3. Can anyone recommend a highly reputable retailer that I can purchase either of these controllers from? I am in Canada. There are none here it seems. There are some folks on eBay.. and also some UK retailers.

#4. Is the reloop a solid unit which will last? anything else I should know about it compared to the VCI-100?

thanks for any info...

kemist

Tech Student

Default update

yikes, ok I just read a couple horror stories of support with Reloop, and the problems with the internal sound card on the IE edition.

This is turning me off. I guess I want to focus now on the VCI-100, and how I can setup kill switches for the EQ's in a way that really works for DJ's.... Also, a reputable retailer for a Canadian to order from over the internet...

thanks,

kemist

Not entirely sure why you would want to instantly kill the different EQ's rather than fade them out, but you can map different buttons on the vci to do that. However, the vci has dedicated EQ knobs so you can control the exact amount of each one.

It is (almost) always recommended to get a controller + external soundcard since they are generally of a higher quality and have a better sound than internal soundcards. Plus if you get the VCI you have a huge community backing here for support, and if you go with the SE edition you get warranty through djtt along with custom mapping updates.
    MacBook Pro // VCI-100 Arcade Edition // MidiFighter // Audio 2 DJ // Ultrasone DJ-1

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Tech Student

Default response

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Not entirely sure why you would want to instantly kill the different EQ's rather than fade them out, but you can map different buttons on the vci to do that. However, the vci has dedicated EQ knobs so you can control the exact amount of each one.

It is (almost) always recommended to get a controller + external soundcard since they are generally of a higher quality and have a better sound than internal soundcards. Plus if you get the VCI you have a huge community backing here for support, and if you go with the SE edition you get warranty through djtt along with custom mapping updates.
    Why I need kill switch abilities on my controller:

Well, I like the EQ mixing style of bringing in other track sounds on beat, so that it almost fools the listener that its just a new musical element in the current track. This all adds to the illusion of one continuous song and barely any audible transition to a new song. I do it all the time in traktor using my mac trackpad, and I love it.

I'm confused about your comment. The relooop does have individual knobs for hi, low, mid, does it not? u can kill each of them with a push. Genius. You're saying I can easily do this on the VCI-100?

I like the VCI-100 SE from TT, but the overlay has changed almost all the button names for advanced users... is there any way to keep the original button labels in tact when ordering?

It sounds like the Reloop is a good controller, but the support is crap, and the I.E edition is a waste (go controller with Audio 2DJ). If you get the midi mappings from TechTools for the reloop, do you really ever need to deal with Reloop again? I guess only if it breaks.

Question - for Canadian customers who order the TT VCI-100 SE, how do we get support/hardware, etc?

-kemist

Ok I see what you're saying. The VCI has dedicated knobs for hi, low, mid, but there is no dedicated button that instantly turns them off. You would have to fade in/out, or turn the know super fast. However, it would be possible to make a custom mapping for the VCI that incorporates such eq "kill switches." Does that make more sense/answer your question?

As for the labels on the SE, I'm sure if you talk to DJTT they will send you the original faceplates for the VCI along with the custom overlay, or you could find someone that upgraded and has the original plates (now that I think about it I think I might have them lying around).
    MacBook Pro // VCI-100 Arcade Edition // MidiFighter // Audio 2 DJ // Ultrasone DJ-1

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Quote Originally Posted by kemist View Post

I like the VCI-100 SE from TT, but the overlay has changed almost all the button names for advanced users... is there any way to keep the original button labels in tact when ordering?

A definite yes although I'll only be 100% sure when I receive mine in a few days time. I'll be using my VCI-100SE in a more conventional way as a dual deck / mixer combo and would like my buttons pretty close to the original layout so I traded in the overlay for the buttons / faders upgrade and had Zach send me the original faceplates although I believe the lower part will be useless since I'll be doing the arcade button modification down there.
    Know thy music ...

Man, reloop's got some bad rep to fix.

Ive owned a digital jockey interface for roughly a year now, I get it second hand off ebay and its still going strong, sticky buttons & all. But I love it to bits and wouldnt swap it for another controller. not even the VCI.

The EQ kill switches are essential imo. I switch basslines quite a bit in my mixing and without the kill switches my elbows would be everywhere. It just seems logical and natural to have it on the EQ rotary itself. I honestly didnt know the VCI didnt have this, seems like an oversight if you ask me.

The soundcard is mint, I got hold of an audio 4 the other day (for timecode purposes), and there is minimal difference in the sound quality. Yes the audio 4 is better, but the fact that the reloop has an onboard soundcard thats as good, all for less than a VCI 100 makes it a total bargain.

I think the main problem with the digital jockey is they might ship with old firmware.
    When I first got mine it was terrible, gave me loads of issues I couldnt explain. Updating the firmware sorted it right out though and I havent looked back.

Ive had no issues installing it either, ive done it on multiple windows OS's, all without issue. Just follow the instructions.

Worst case scenario is you buy one, it's dodgy, and you take it back and go get a VCI 100.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

I should also add that only the interface & master edition come with touch sensetive jog wheels. The controller edition does not.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

I was making the same decision a little while ago, and heard about the problems with the Reloop. I ended up going with a Hercules DJ Control Steel (has EQ kills by the way), got a sick deal on it, and am using the extra cash to get an external soundcard. So far the Steel has been great. No touch sensitive jogs though, if that turns you off.

Tech Wizard

I've just got the reloop controller edition and a audio 2 dj a week ago and i'm very happy with it. The only thing that would of been nice is the touch sensative jogs but they still work if you give them a very slight nudge (i didn't buy it for scratching). I agree, you do need to upgrade to the latest firmware and tsi mapping that suits but once that is sorted it works perfect. All the effects knobs are push encoders as well as the eq knobs. I'm now starting to mess around with some of the midi functions to suit a better workflow for me such as the gains have been switched to filter knobs as i use the auto gain function. Also does anyone have any idea where i could get some info on optimizing windows 7 for use with Traktor, i've seen the articles on dj techtools for windows xp but nothing else