Promo mixes? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Promo mixes?

Seeing as no one knows what to do with a CD anymore, I would recommend putting out cards with a very easy to remember link (+ a QR code) on them in stead. This is way cheaper for you, and more practical for the listener.

And since this thread started as a discussion on an upcoming gig, here's a method that works if you really want to succeed:
    Set up an email newsletter if you haven't already, and let your fans write their emails on that card you just gave out. When you finish playing, harvest all those email adresses. Then you can send out a newsletter the next time you play in their area.
    Thoughts?

I've been somewhat of an avid collector of "promo" mixes over the years. Something I ALWAYS try to grab, whatever show I'm at, if someone is giving them out.

The best ones? Custom printed CD's with individual tracks that usually start right before each transition. Usually in regular .wav format (audio cd for general purpose car cd player playback). A lot of times I get the feeling these are mastered, because the levels are always perfect. Not a terrible idea, but for me there's something to be said for handing someone a CD and telling them it's fresh off the presses, nothing tampered with it. Bigger named DJ's, or at big events is where I generally get these. These aren't generally affordable for "starting out" mixes.

Second best? Hand written burnt CD's with a reasonable amount of info on the front. May or may not be .wav or .mp3. If it's an mp3 CD, it will usually have more than one mix on it, often spanning different genre's depending on what the person is going for spinning wise. This is the vast majority of what I've picked up in recent years. At least the soundcloud/website info on the front however.

Worst? Just the DJ name on the front, written poorly, and then a shitty short mix inside. I've gotten a few of those as well, and I appreciate them because I know NOT to look this person out.

I'm in the process of planning out my first "promo" if you will. I don't like doing 30 minute, or less, mixes, because I feel it's not an appreciable amount of time for a mix. But, I'm torn on if I want to have only one mix on the CD and go with the standard audio format (.wav) so it can be played back in /all/ CD players, or fitting a few mixes on a CD and making it an mp3 CD. I play a couple different genre's that I'd like to get bookings for in the future, so it's a tough call.

Either way, I bought one of those pressing kits so I can print my own labels for the CD's. It's not nearly as fancy as having them custom made by a shop, but it's a hell of a lot less expensive. I may just burn 100 or so CD's in my own computer (time consuming I know) and then get some custom labels printed at like Staples, and then attach them myself. I have ideas for a design, just need to get it in action.

It's a tough thing, marketing yourself. But everyone needs to be unique and get the message across the proper way. I don't like post-mastered mixes as promo though, because it's not an accurate representation of how well you can manage levels.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123