Thoughts on buying a refurbed lappie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on buying a refurbed lappie

Okay so theres a seller on craigslist that has for sale a HP DV9700T that is factory refurbished and sealed in box with warranty until Jan of 09 for a slamming $765...but I would like to know everyones thoughts on buying a lappie refurbished...Would it be reliable or will it break easily...cus i am in need of a laptop upgrade but would like to spend minimal amounts on it so i can also invest in a Vci-100...cus djing with keyboard and mouse is FTL..Check out the specs and tell me what yall think

PROCESSOR
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/6MB L2 Cache)

MEMORY
    3GB DDR2 SDRAM (1x2048MB/1x1024MB)

HARD DRIVE
    240GB 5400 RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120GB x 2)

DISPLAY
    17.0" WXGA BrightView Wide Viewing (1440x900)

MULTIMEDIA DRIVE
    Super Multi 8X DVDRW w/Double Layer Support

VIDEO GRAPHICS
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS w/ Webcam
    DIGITAL MEDIA
    5-in-1 media card reader

COMMUNICATION
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN Network Connection

KEYBOARD
    Full-Size with Number Pad

POINTING DEVICE
    Touchpad with dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad

DIMENSIONS
    15.16" (L) x 11.65" (W) x 1.57" (H)

WEIGHT
    7.7 lbs.
    PC CARD SLOTS
    ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

EXTERNAL PORTS
    Expansion Port 3 connector
    Four USB 2.0
    IEEE 1394 Firewire port
    S-video TV-out
    Integrated Consumer IR (remote control receiver)
    Two headphones out
    Microphone in
    RJ-11 (modem)
    RJ-45 (LAN)
    VGA port

SOUND
    Integrated Altec Lansing stereo speakers

Tech Wizard

I've purchased refurb, but only from dealers. You get substantial savings + a warranty. You may not get either from this deal. Dell has a new laptop (core2duo 2.0G) for about the same price. Apple has refurbs too on their site.

yah if i did settle for this deal it would save me a crap load of money...it has the manufacture warranty that goes up until 1/29/2009....And its got a pretty nice spec 2.5ghz and 3gb ram which would be nice for multi-tasking...The video cards not all that but I really havent been playing much games lately now that I've been getting into Djing..What Im worried is that the factory replaced it with some cheapo aftermarket parts instead of using all OEM parts...does that seem to be a problem and play in to the reliability of the unit??

Tech Wizard

I wouldn't worry about it. When the company does its own refurb, they get it going with oem (or if those were the cause of the defect, better than oem) Their rep hangs in the balance. Look at what happened to Gateway.

Fast processor, plenty of RAM, and if you're using the internal HD, a fast one, are ideal.

Not sure if you're also looking into Apple, but I was able to get a refurbished 2008 Macbook Pro (not the newest unibody MBP that came out, but he model before it) for about $1400. IMO this is probably one of the best deals out there for the money (and it comes with a 1 year apple warranty).

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnhong View Post
    Not sure if you're also looking into Apple, but I was able to get a refurbished 2008 Macbook Pro (not the newest unibody MBP that came out, but he model before it) for about $1400. IMO this is probably one of the best deals out there for the money (and it comes with a 1 year apple warranty).
    Thats a pretty fair deal i rekon

buyer beware on craigslist.

other than that, refurb'd lappie....great investment!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    buyer beware on craigslist.

other than that, refurb'd lappie....great investment!
    +1
    All we ever have is now ...

yah so i guess its not the best of ideas to buy a lappie off craigslist then eyyy....I'll wait it out patiently than and try to get a new one =)

Tech Convert

When Black Friday ends up a bust next week, expect to see killer deals as we get closer to Christmas.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the Processor speed, nor RAM, as long as you can upgrade it to 4GB+. RAM is cheap right now, and pretty much all the current processors are more than you need for any of the DJ applications out there.

Get what you want when it comes to screen size, hard drive speed/size, and ports (USB and Firewire are handy).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast