Which VCI should I buy?
    Tech Student

Default Which VCI should I buy?

I've never done any djing before. I don't know anything about sound cards. Which VCI should I buy? Also I really like using tractor.

Depends on your budget and what you want to do really. VCI-100 + Audio 2 is a great way to start, but you can't use vinyl and you can't use the custom DJTT mappings. For a little bit more you can get the VCI-100SE which uses the DJTT custom mappings.
    MacBook Pro // VCI-100 Arcade Edition // MidiFighter // Audio 2 DJ // Ultrasone DJ-1

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Technically, you can use the DJTT mapping with a regular VCI (fw 1.2), but to get all the benefits you need to update to fw 1.3. If you can find a VCI-100 used, this can be an excellent way to go. But if you can't find it used, for about the same price as in store, you get the SE with the latest overlay and fw 1.3.

My personal choice is the Arcade Edition. The tactile control of the arcade buttons is unbeatable. Ask anyone who has tried the SE vs the Arcade, it is well worth the upgrade.

If you are laptop only, the Audio 2 DJ is all you will likely ever need. Great card with pro sound and great volume.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Technically, you can use the DJTT mapping with a regular VCI (fw 1.2), but to get all the benefits you need to update to fw 1.3. If you can find a VCI-100 used, this can be an excellent way to go. But if you can't find it used, for about the same price as in store, you get the SE with the latest overlay and fw 1.3.

Phil.
    Yes I probably should have clarified that. It would also be beneficial to get the DJTT overlay too so you know what each button is.
    MacBook Pro // VCI-100 Arcade Edition // MidiFighter // Audio 2 DJ // Ultrasone DJ-1

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Tech Student

COOL! Yeah I'm laptop only right now.

Tech Student

Default Which should I buy?

Thanks for the info....I am fairly new as well and was wondering which way to go since there is quite a bit to choose from. I am laptop only right now.

Tech Wizard

i just picked up my vci100se and audio2. This is my first controller and so far so good. Still alot to take in and learn, but Ean's videos were worth the extra money, and so far this forum has helped me with the first question i had. So I am 1 for 1 haha.

I was going to get the Hercules RMX, because it has a built in soundcard and i had used a friends before. Main downside to that controller is the mapping, you have to either find mappings online or learn yourself.