click sound when pressing shift and juggle buttons
    Tech Convert

Default click sound when pressing shift and juggle buttons

Hello all

i just recieved my VCI-100 SE today, played with it for a few hours and was enjoying it very very much, great piece of hardware and great mapping to match it.
    but then i started noticing something, which i am not sure was there at first, but maybe i was just too excited to notice it:

when a track is playing, hitting the Shift or the Juggle 1-4 or Juggle 5-8 buttons makes a "click" sound, both on the master and monitor channels.

i've tried all i could find on the forum, meaning:

loading the mapping twice
    loading it from the right "import" button
    lowering my latency as low as it goes (right now on 1.5ms)
    also, i'm already using the "glitch" version of the mapping as i was experiencing the glitch sound on the route fx and fx type buttons, and it indeed fixed that issue
    no other programs / internet or anything is running while traktor is running

i am using the quality DJTT USB cable that came with my VCI, and a regular cable for my audio device. tomorrow morning i will go look for more quality cables where i live, but i'm not sure i will find any, or that this is what's causing the problem. i guess i will also buy a power adapter to see if that helps, although that would be a bit of a bummer having to plug it in every time.

i have no idea what else i could do, and this is a really bad issue. this click sound is quite loud, and no way i could play in a club with this sound going off every time i hit the shift button.. and i get many gigs coming..

i am running Windows 7 Professional 64BIT on a fresh brand new HP Pavilion DV6 3020 Core i5 450M, 4GB DDR3 memory, 500GB HD 7200rpm which had been optimized for music production by professionals, meaning there is almost nothing else installed on it. My audio device is NI's Audio 2DJ, also brand new. the computer really really shouldn't be causing the problem.

i tried giving out all possible info right here, instead of answering about it all seperately later on, so please excuse me for making this post this long..

ANY HELP ANYONE PLEASE?!??

thanks

One little thing I noticed in your list of solutions: you should try INCREASING latency. Start with 10ms and lower it from there until you here the pops and increase back up a bit.

For most of what we do 10ms is fine. Only if you do really fast scratches (which the VCI is not ideally suited for) will you MAYBE notice a latency in that region.

One more thing to try is changing USB ports. Some do not have ideal power or bandwidth and can cause small problems during peaks (like pressing shift or the juggle buttons, there is a lot of info flowing when you press them).

Try it and let us know if that helps.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Wizard

dito. would also recommend increasing the latency a little.

Tech Wizard

I also have the same problem when using the shift button or juggle 1-4 and juggle 5-8 and have the clicking sound. One thing i have noticed is that depending on which version of the tsi file you use the clicking will change to other buttons. For example if i use the 2.5(t.pro) tsi file the clicking happens when you press the Juggle button or use the Juggle on knob whereas if i use the latest (glitch fix) 3.5.2 tsi the clicking sound is apparent on the new buttons for Juggle and a new Shift button. This would indicate a problem with the .tsi files as the problem follows the mapping for the particular .tsi file used. It almost sounds like an earthing problem as its a kind of static popping sound.

I am sure we are not the only ones to notice this?

Tech Wizard

interestingly i am also using a Audio 2 DJ card with the latest drivers and is a few weeks old.

Tech Wizard

Ran some more tests and eliminated the usb ports being an issue. I did find that increasing the latency setting to 11.5m/s solved the issue. If i then reduced to 7.5 m/s i had half the frequency of clicks therefore it must be a latency issue with these audio 2 dj cards.

did you find similar results ronix?

Tech Convert

thanks pilmat, sno and wrigh_a!

changing the latency solved this issue for me. how foolish of me to try to move it lower instead of higher i actually solved the issue myself just a couple of hours before i got your replies.. still, thank you very much!
    and wrigh_a it's a latency problem, but changed with the mapping because different buttons were assigned to move more info with different mappings. i guess..

either way, very happy to have this over with, so that i can focus on the good stuff and play around

Wish I could solve mine, on Win 7 x64 with TPro 1.27 using VCI 100 SE (FW 1.4) and highest latency on my card (Terratec DMX6 Fire USB) is 8ms where things are even more troublesome... trying to get good at four deck mixing at the moment so dont use juggle and shift (the main offenders) much. I will be soon I really wish I could sort this... tried all of the above plus usb cables and ports no luck here...
    1x Allen & Heath Xone K2, 1xXone K1, Edirol PCR M1, 4x Numark TTXUSB, Audio10 and a truck load of vinyl...

Tech Wizard

Smile

Had the same problem for the vci 100. I found the solution on these forums. It was a case of switching off some of the LED's in the 1.4 mapping. With a good browse you should find your answer!

Quote Originally Posted by CodeMorse View Post
    Wish I could solve mine, on Win 7 x64 with TPro 1.27 using VCI 100 SE (FW 1.4) and highest latency on my card (Terratec DMX6 Fire USB) is 8ms where things are even more troublesome... trying to get good at four deck mixing at the moment so dont use juggle and shift (the main offenders) much. I will be soon I really wish I could sort this... tried all of the above plus usb cables and ports no luck here...
    have you changed the latency IN traktor, rather than on your soundcard driver?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES